Library Systems & Services, LLC, DOVER AFB delaware
The city of Dover is seeking an ambitious and innovative leader to serve as the Library Director for the Dover Public Library in Dover, Delaware. This position is a great opportunity for a charismatic and visionary leader in library operations who can develop and implement programs and a mission by encouraging creative thinking. The Library Director will lead a talented and enthusiastic team of 35 part-time and full-time staff members who are committed to creating a thriving library in the heart of the community. This full-time position will report to the LS&S Chief Library Officer and coordinate with the Assistant City Manager of the City of Dover.
The Dover Public Library is the largest library in the state and is the anchor library for Kent County. The library building is 46,000 square feet, and provides space for a variety of programs and diverse collections for all age groups. It serves a population of over 62,000. The selected candidate will be the visible face of Dover Public Library and representative in the community.
The Library Director supports the Dover mission, vision, and values through exceptional leadership and dedicated customer focus. The Library Director will also support the goals and initiatives of the City of Dover. The Library Director will be responsible for enhancing a strong partnership with local officials, advisory boards and managing the customer relationship.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
• Evaluates library environments and key operational indicators to identify problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement
• Supervises and coaches library staff to help achieve library goals and objectives
• Engages with the community and community leaders
• Develops and administrators the annual library budget and capital improvement program
• Conducts performance review and supports the performance of library staff
• Implements action plans that meet operational and organizational objectives
• Keeps current with library trends, issues and technology as well as political, economic and demographics issues that may affect library services and advanced programming
• Plans and executes local, regional and company initiatives to achieve both operational excellence and business results; follows up consistently to ensure accountability to plans
• Utilizes existing tools and best practices to ensure effective library operations
• Utilizes and helps Library staff utilize management information tools and analyzes financial reports and other library related data (usage, demographics, trends, etc.) to identify and address library system trends and issues
• Oversee the selection, acquisition and processing of library materials to meet public needs within the structure of library selection policies and budgetary limitations
• Responsible for the local management of the customer relationship (city/county officials, governing boards, library boards)
• Regularly solicits client, other stakeholder and patron feedback to understand client needs and the needs of the local community
• Establishes a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all city and safety policies
• Oversees the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices with working knowledge of ADA, FLSA, and collective bargaining agreements
• Know, understand and administer the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library.
• Follows all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records
• Keeps in constant communication with appropriate LS&S staff and the client regarding library operations
• Performs other duties as assigned
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
• ALA-accredited Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Science degree
• At least eight years of public library experience required
• At least eight years of public library management/supervisory experience required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as organization skills
• Experience tracking usage statistics, data collection and excel reports
• Prior experience with OCLS Worldshare (ILS), ADP, Kronos and MUNIS software preferred
• Advanced public library programming experience
• Strong budgeting and financial management experience
• Experience in a role that requires frequent interaction with patrons, fulfilling the requests of patrons and responsibility for addressing patron issues, questions and suggestions
• Proficient technical skills, including a familiarity with Windows, Microsoft Suite, and knowledge of various technologies
Equal Opportunity Employer: AA M/F/Vet/Disability