Procurement and Pricing Manager (Working Manager)
Sambrailo Packaging, WATSONVILLE california
Who we are:
Since 1923, Sambrailo Packaging has developed innovative solutions to help growers deliver their produce to market. Today, we continue to expand our horizons — working with customers to provide a broader range of products to meet their packaging needs and providing services to help improve their packaging operations cost effectively. From forecasting to procurement, and inventory management to quality control, we are positioned to help agricultural businesses grow and prosper.
As a family owned business, we look at things differently. The 3rd and 4th generations of the family are hard at work today continuing a great legacy with a long view toward the future. Today, Sambrailo has over 400 employees with facilities throughout Northern and Central California.
Through generations the philosophy of Charles Sambrailo still holds true today: listen to customers’ requests and continually improve products and services to ultimately improve the quality of the produce and help our customers grow their business.
Who you are:
- You love math and data. Excel is your friend and you make good decisions by combining raw data with common sense and real world experience. You are data driven.
- You understand that sometimes the data does not tell the whole picture and talking to others who may be closer to the source information is often the best way to get the clear picture.
- You’re the type of manager who really cares for their team and is always willing to work alongside them to get work done. The role of a ‘working manager’ is where you’re most productive and comfortable.
- It makes perfect sense to you that a business would treat their vendors with the same type of respect and care that is given to customers.
- Process oriented – both creating and supporting consistent, reliable process work
- Creative in developing new ideas in support of existing business products and services
- A strategic thinker who is equally comfortable as an individual contributor who gets the job done
- Awesome at execution and getting initiatives across the finish line
- Curious and willing to challenge existing norms to push the business forward
The Procurement and Pricing Manger leads a team of 3 direct reports while also actively working alongside the team to ensure all tasks are completed with accuracy and timeliness. Keeping a close eye on key metrics and KPIs is critical in order to increase and maintain efficiencies across the company. Responsibility for margin monitoring and addressing related issues and concerns is a core responsibility. As part of pricing responsibilities, this role will be responsible for researching and producing quotes for the sales team for presentation to customers. Variables to be considered include lead times, inventory levels, quantities along with freight and other associated fees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following as well as other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.
- Managing the Procurement Team, comprised of 3 direct reports: Corrugated Buyer, Master Planner & Remote (Mexico) Plastics Buyer.
- Develop, communicate and administer procurement team performance and development plans.
- Lead transformational activities to build procurement organizational capabilities and improve procurement efficiency. Includes developing, tracking, and reporting key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness.
- Serve as the primary contact for procurement related questions, training, policy and procedure interpretation and alignment by all departments.
- Managing Vendor relationships and negotiations. Include monitoring supplier performance and ensuring contractual obligations are met.
Includes taking on responsibility for the following processes:
- Necessary supplier pre-season production planning and during season monitoring. Includes managing technological systems that track the shipment, inventory and supply of materials.
- Monitoring customer forecast vs. actual sales, for procurement forecast adjustment.
- Maintaining customer mandated supplier allocations.
- Monitoring cost of goods sold for adherence to company targets.
- Process purchase orders; develops bids and proposals; and reconcile any invoice discrepancies.
- Lead and direct pricing strategy formulation and take necessary pricing actions to enhance profitability, ensuring integrity and accuracy in all pricing matters.
- Assist with pricing negotiations of customers’ proposals.
- Conduct oral presentations, field research and cost revisions. This also requires thinking about the going rates for similar products in the industry, in order to remain competitive.
- Maintain and regularly update a pricing history database.
- Define new business procedures, evaluate resource requirements and stimulate implementation or maintenance of pricing system.
- Manage total pricing procedure, enhance processes to make most of efficiencies and ensure timely response to market conditions.
- Perform partnering with operations, logistics, sales and finance departments to ensure integrated profit maximizing approach to market.
- Analyze financial impact of price approach in view of overall history as well as profitability of customer.
Includes taking on responsibility for the following processes:
- Receives quote requests from sales.
- Reviews quotes and clarifies intent.
- Determines and coordinates best procurement approach (i.e. keeping in mind existing inventories, lead times, purchase quantities, and projected forecast)
- Coordinates and includes other pricing (freight, print plates, cutting dies, make-up fees)
- Provides pricing to Sales to present to customer.
- Notifies all relevant parties of items, quantities, prices, and need by dates figured in Purchase Agreements that are approved. (i.e. label purchase price break, price, and when its needed)
- Responsible for reviewing current margins for issues/concerns.
- Utilizes signed PA’s and figured margins as a comparison.
- Notifies relevant department where issues arise.[ES1] [DM2]
GENERAL JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
KNOWLEDGE OF WORK
Possesses knowledge of the job which is essential to perform the specific related work functions.
QUANTITY OF WORK
Completes an appropriate volume of satisfactory work under normal conditions. Produces results.
QUALITY OF WORK
Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, neatness and dependability to produce work within acceptable standards.
Completes assignments on or ahead of schedule.
ABILITY TO LEARN NEW DUTIES
Interprets, learns and responds to instructions for new situations, procedures or methods.
JUDGEMENT and COMMON SENSE
Decisions/actions are sound including safety awareness and knowledge of customer base.
Willing to work with others toward common goals.
Demonstrates relevance and clarity of written and oral expression. Effective in exchanging ideas and information. Able to discuss technical aspects of new products with engineering experts, sales staff and customers.
Ability to originate, develop or create new ideas or take steps to get things done.
Identifies and evaluates alternate solutions and selection of the most appropriate course of action.
ATTENDANCE and PUNCTUALITY
Shows daily ability to be at work at scheduled time, including being prepared to work on time after breaks, meal periods and other authorized absences from work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years of experience
- Prior experience in packaging or procurement is desirable.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures with conformance to the prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information.
Ability to work with general mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts such as percentages and ratios to pricing situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be well organized and a self-starter.
- Must possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize in accordance with changing deadlines a