Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the Americas
dormakaba Americas, ZIONSVILLE indiana
dormakaba is seeking a Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the Americas.
With a presence in more than 130 countries, our 16,000 team members around the world are passionate about and dedicated to our mission to make access in life smart and secure. Day by day. Installation by installation. Innovation by innovation. Our products and access solutions protect people, property, and assets all over the world, every day, in hospitals, schools, airports, hotels, shops, entertainment venues, residential buildings, and offices. Come join our team!
dormakaba is looking for a highly motivated individual to join the company as Senior Vice President & General Counsel AMER, lead corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives, and be a key member of the executive leadership team of the Segment AS AMER (Access Solutions Americas Segment)
The Senior Vice President & General Counsel AMER will provide senior management with effective legal advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. This position will be directly involved in complex business transactions and in the negotiation of critical contracts.
This position carries strategic responsibility as well as being the primary driver for tactical implementation. This position will report directly to the Group General Counsel as well as the Chief Operating Officer(Strong line of reporting to the COO). This position will report and will manage a budget and build a team necessary to support related activities. The successful candidate must demonstrate excellent communication and collaboration skills, a strategic, innovative mindset, and a high level of competence in legal activities in a publicly listed, access control and security device company.
- Indianapolis, IN
- Develops and maintain legal vision, goals, and objectives
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that business is conducted in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Handles a variety of legal issues relevant to sales, litigation, M&A, research and development, and manufacturing
- Structures and manages the internal legal functions and staff
- Selects, manages, and evaluates all outside counsel
- Drafts, reviews, approves, and provides oversight of all company agreements including key agreements related to customers, distributors, suppliers and vendors, software and technology licensing, and employment and consulting.
- Oversees corporate governance, including maintenance of corporate records
- Advises on litigation risks of possible business decisions
- Manages and oversees threatened and actual litigation or other legal proceedings
- Advises on appropriate strategy to defend or resolve litigation
- Reviews all promotional and product marketing material
- Provides legal advice and counsel regarding the company’s human resources policies and practices
Critical success factors:
- Exceptional communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses strong decision-making capabilities and a successful track record as a pro-active leader
- Strong legal and analytical skills, as well as a strategic business sense
- Ability to be constructive with a people-centric leadership style
- Capacity to grasp complex problems quickly and provide reasonable direction and counsel
- Self-starter with the initiative and ability to thrive in an environment responsive to and inspired by new ideas
- Comfortable working independently in an entrepreneurial environment with limited oversight
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an ABA-accredited law school (required)
- Active bar membership from any of the 50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands (required)
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporate setting (required)
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources (required)
- Minimum 10 years as a practicing corporate lawyer and 5 years as Legal team leader-ideally in the field of technology/manufacturing
- Executive-level presentation, professional, and diplomacy skills
- Experience in an international company environment
dormakaba is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. dormakaba is an Equal Opportunity Employer. dormakaba is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. (EEO/AA/M/F/D/V) dormakaba does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company absent a signed agreement with approved Talent Acquisition dormakaba representative.