We are seeking a leader to creatively build new research and manage a diverse group of innovative and leading-edge scientists and engineers for new space technology energy storage systems. The successful candidate will be a passionate and successful leader to guide and inspire a growing organization on the cutting edge of energy storage systems for space applications. This is a customer and government facing position and the successful candidate must be able to work across multiple customer organizations to identify, develop, and manage new business opportunities and lead the staff development and organizational improvements to support world-class scientific research and development.
• Work with laboratory senior management to develop strategy and direction in the area of energy storage.
• Develop relationships with customers to facilitate understanding of existing and emerging challenges in energy storage and develop R&D objectives around these challenges.
• Create and implement new management processes to unify department recommendations, roadmaps, and program support across multiple customers and focus areas.
• Provide organizational leadership to provide strategic vision and effectively communicate organization direction.
• Ensure robust, high quality staff and management processes which support and drive a culture of innovation.
• Prioritize customer requests and assign staff accordingly.
• Manage department resources across multiple focus areas.
• Recruit, hire, and develop exceptional talent.
• Work with the team to provide timely and accurate feedback on battery related issues to a wide range of customers and senior management.
• Evaluate staff performance and provide frequent, constructive feedback.
• Mentor and coach staff to build their capabilities and engagement.
• Understand and implement corporate processes for staff recognition, reward, and promotion.
• Bachelor’ s degree in physics, chemistry, chemical engineering or related technical discipline from an accredited university.
• 12 or more years of progressively responsible professional engineering/scientific experience.
• Experience in battery technology or experience with the development of power systems.
• Ability to technically engage with customers and collaborators on battery related issues.
• Ability to develop, maintain, and enable staff for new collaborations with external partners on energy storage R&D.
• Experience with project leadership and demonstrated ability to initiate and lead team efforts.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to influence a technical organization.
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
• Current Secret clearance with the ability to obtain/maintain and SCI clearance required.
• Ability to travel to customer and other locations (20%).
• Advanced degree in physics, chemistry or chemical engineering from an accredited university.
• Experience working in a dynamic environment with development of new technology and research focus areas.
• Experience working with an interdisciplinary team of people and developing consensus on multi-variable and complex problems.
• Specific experience with spacecraft battery systems and/or battery technology
• Current TS/SCI.