Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Waste Connections, Inc., San Luis Obispo California
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Employee Type Employee
Requisition Primary Location
San Luis Obispo, California
Cold Canyon Landfill, a Waste Connections company, is looking for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic to join the team in San Luis Obispo, CA!
The schedule will be Monday-Friday, 7am - 4pm. Pay will be $26-30/hour, depending on experience.
Waste Connections has many opportunities for qualified and motivated individuals who want to be part of a dynamic organization. We provide competitive benefits and lots of room for individual growth as the company expands. Because we operate with a highly decentralized structure, we look for individuals who are energetic and have individual initiative and creativity. Join us and be a part of a winning team!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Diagnose and perform repairs on heavy equipment such as dozer, scraper, compactor, pickup trucks, water trucks, light towers and all equipment on site as needed.
- Ability to diagnose and repair all components; electrical, hydraulic, engines, transmissions, air conditioning, brakes.
- Some computer skills needed, use Caterpillar E.T. program to diagnose and repair.
- Follow safety procedures as set out by Caterpillar and Waste Connections
- Use lock-out tag out procedure.
- Fill out work order daily to keep track of hours and work performed.
- Upon completion of assignments, must provide signatures on all inspection reports.
- Make parts list and order parts as needed using a P.O. system.
- Fabricate and weld, using gas or arc as needed.
- Report all problems to supervisor, keep track daily by using a notebook for each machine
- Perform preventative services as needed.
- Maintain a clean working environment
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Able to work utilizing safety glasses, steel-toed shoes, uniform, and hearing protection (PPE).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence accurately.
- Ability to speak effectively to employees of organization.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- ASE Certification is a plus
- Valid Driver License and clean driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; push and pull tool box weighing up to 100 lb.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of radiation, and vibration.
- The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud, earplugs required.
To be considered for any of our current openings you must complete an application at www.wasteconnections.com . Application information and additional instructions can be found once you select your position of interest.
We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term & short term disability, life insurance, 401K retirement and unlimited opportunities to "Connect with Your Future".
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran)