Assistant Scientist - Night Shift
(BMS) Bristol-Myers Squibb, Syracuse New York
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The Syracuse Biologics Manufacturing operation produces clinical, commercial and launch scale biologics drug substance at its 5000L scale manufacturing facility (mammalian cell process) in East Syracuse, New York.
The QC Assistant Scientist conducts routine testing of products for in-process, release and stability purposes, in compliances with all applicable procedures and regulations. A variety of duties are performed by an Assistant Scientist relating to the efficient and effective functioning of the Quality Control lab.
*Shift: Rotating 12 hour shift 6pm - 6am
A successful candidate for the position of Assistant Scientist within the QC organization will carry out duties in compliance with all local, state, federal regulations and guidelines including FDA, EPA and OSHA, as well as all company and site policies and procedures. Duties include conducting routine and non-routine testing of materials and products using a variety of equipment and test methods upon demonstrating the ability to perform and understand required methods. Each analyst is responsible for capturing data accurately and timely followed by promptly entering testing results within the appropriate data collection system (e.g., LIMS, LES, etc). The individual must have the ability to maintain detailed records in compliance with applicable cGMP, safety and environmental requirements. The authoring, reviewing and modification of documents such as SOPs, protocols, investigations and other lab documents may be required. An Assistant Scientist must maintain routine equipment and instrumentation along with performing calibrations as required to ensure instrumentation is within a compliant state. As part of working in a laboratory setting, individuals will need to maintain inventory to ensure testing is not disrupted as well as perform routine housekeeping to ensure the lab area is continuously maintained in a safe, orderly and compliant state.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc:
- Ability to perform routine data analysis and data review
- Carry out assigned laboratory work and other functional duties
- Have proficiency to evaluate and interpret data
- An understanding of basic scientific concepts and an interest/enthusiasm for further learning.
- Basic understanding of daily lab functions, maintenance, safety, cGMP and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ability to perform consistent delivery of accurate and complete experimental records
- Ability to carry out assigned laboratory work and other basic functional duties
- Ability to work under direct supervision
- Ability to work under supervision
- Capability to deliver results in line with project and team objectives
Assistant Scientist: Minimum BS degree in scientific area with no experience (0-3 years) and be able to demonstrate theoretical understanding of scientific area of study. Demonstrate problem solving ability, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Ability to prioritize objectives from multiple projects, adhere to scheduled timelines while maintaining flexibility and attention to detail. Contribute to a team based, collaborative, and positive environment, clarity of purpose and high commitment to business goals. Experience with HPLC, UV/VIS Spectrophotometes, and Empower chromatography software is a plus.
This role will require:
- Contact with biohazardous materials such as live cell cultures and other hazardous chemicals including methotrexate, acids, and caustics.
- Powdered materials and high temperature liquids and solids may also need to be handled.
- Frequent repeated motions such as pipetting, lifting, bending, twisting, squatting, crouching, kneeling, climbing on step-stools, and reaching is required.
- This role also requires frequent unassisted lifting (not to exceed 50 lbs).
- Repetitive use of arms/hands/wrists and grasping is also required.
- Depending on the work demands, office-based work requires sitting.
- This position is based indoors and you will primarily be working with others, but also independently and alone at times.
- This position is a team-based position that will require night shift (6pm-6am), weekends, and holidays.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.