Senior EHS Specialist
(BMS) Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton New Jersey
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
- Develops and implements site EHS programs and objectives to support site operations in alignment with company business objectives and sustainability goals.
- Conducts exposure assessments, develops sampling strategies, and conducts sampling for chemical, physical and biological agents. Analyzes data and develops enhanced procedures based on collected data.
- Influence the EHS compliance programs in the facility through active planning, assessment and correction of work activities conducted by both BMS and contract employees.
- Supports all aspects of the Radiation Safety Program as needed.
- Conducts EHS program audits and inspections. Communicates audit results, develops and tracks remedial actions and action plans to promote the sustainability of the company and assure compliance.
- Manage the Hazard Communication and Lab Safety programs including training, Safety Data Sheets and support of emergency response activities.
- Participate on the Site Emergency Response Team. Available to work off-hours and weekends as needed.
- Investigates accidents/incidents and makes recommendations for corrective action using Global EHS system.
- This position has a major impact on employee and contractor health and safety. Interpretation of regulatory requirements may affect company resources and the implementation of compliance programs. Activities directly affect daily operating procedures including research & development, and maintenance activities. Misinterpretations can result in direct injury to employees or in regulatory action
- Work performed under little to general direction. Independently determines and develops an approach to solutions.
- Work requires Associate to be on site to perform daily duties and ability for any EHS or emergency response.
- Work may be reviewed for completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Frequently receives assignments that do not have a clearly defined process to complete the assignment.
- Coordinate activities with the Integrated Facilities Management Company; supervise work as needed.
- Daily contact with site employees with a focus of providing daily EHS support to various groups. Periodic contact with Global EHS staff and interaction with local, state and federal authorities.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL
Describe the type and extend to which knowledge of a specific type is required to perform this job in a satisfactory manner. Where skills can be obtained through formal training / education and experience. List the type and amount of education and experience that would typically prepare an individual for this position.
- A degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science or related scientific technical field with 3-5 years working in the field. Board certification in one or more aspects of these disciplines desirable.
Experience / Knowledge Desired:
- Direct experience in a chemical or pharmaceutical industry is beneficial.
- Proven ability to direct, motivate, lead and negotiate with diverse population and multi-functional teams.
- Incumbent is frequently required to work independently and make significant decisions without consultation with supervision.
- Through understanding of department philosophy and objectives is a base from which decisions are made.
- A knowledge of safety and environmental principles and regulations is necessary. Individual must possess and be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of applicable regulations with an ongoing update of information as regulations change.
- Ability to develop proactive programs with the judgment and skill to implement in a timely fashion is critical.
- Demonstrates capability in managing multiple projects/tasks, understands the EHS workload, effectively prioritizes tasks, communicates project/task status and ensures timely closure of assignments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated capabilities in effective negotiations, influencing, advocacy and presentations to all employee and management levels including maintenance, laboratory, and external regulatory agencies. Strengths in customer service and cooperative teaming.
- Respond to emergencies and major accidents. Must evoke confidence and ability to respond to rapidly changing situations.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, especially related to facilitation, documentation and reporting.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.