(BMS) Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton New Jersey
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The successful EHS Program manager will develop and implement EHS programs to support BMS LVL & Sites Operations. These programs may include but are not limited to the following activities, Occupational Health and Safety programs and initiatives; Environmental Permits and compliance; Hazardous Materials Transportation; Sustainability. Oversee the development and use of processes and systems which assure compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations and company standards or expectations in these areas.Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements site EHS programs and objectives to support ongoing operations in alignment with company business objectives and sustainability goals.
- Develop collaborative relationships with Research Lab Management and Staff to integrate EHS programs into the daily laboratory activities.
- Responsible for the management of the Process Safety Management (PSM) program for Facilities Operations related processes and coordination at the site level. Program includes Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) Pre-startup Safety Reviews, and Management of Change, etc.
- Support environmental permit application and environmental compliance processes including responsibility for the Discharge Prevention, Containment and Countermeasure Plan Discharge Cleanup and Removal Plan.
- Support Hazardous Materials Transportation safety.
- Participate with site emergency response team. Utilize incident command structure to coordinate the activities of BMS and external emergency response personnel. Provide 24/7 emergency response capability for site.
- Influence the EHS compliance programs in the facility through active planning, assessment and correction of work activities conducted by both BMS and contract employees.
- Interface with local regulatory agency officials. Represent BMS during inspections, audits and environmental compliance activities.
- Conduct EHS training sessions as required by BMS EHS standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support Industrial Hygiene program as needed. Support calibration program for monitoring instruments.
- Manage and maintain EHS recordkeeping systems to track incidents, training and corrective actions.
- Coordinate activities with the Integrated Facilities Management Company; supervise EHS work as needed.
- Develops, maintains and continuously improves standard operating procedures, and plans to help ensure continued facility and organization compliance. Ability to develop, implement & monitor EHS programs to ensure compliance with regulations, Corporate Directives and SOPs, ability to write related procedures, as well as incorporate continuous improvement activities such as the Facility Self-Assessment Program (FSAP).
- Conducts EHS program audits and inspections according to applicable established audit practices; communicates audit results, develops and tracks remedial actions and action plans to promote the sustainability of the company and assure compliance.
- This position has a major impact on employee and contractor health and safety. Interpretation of regulatory requirements may affect company resources and the implementation of compliance programs. Activities directly affect daily operating procedures including research & development, and maintenance activities. Misinterpretations can result in direct injury to employees or in regulatory action.
- Support implementation of incident and near miss reporting and investigation process, ensures communication to appropriate management, and/or implementation of necessary preventive measures.
- Maintain liaison with Facilities, Engineering and operating departments to facilitate design and implementation of site projects with EHS impacts.
- Supports integration of EHS best practices into research and business process planning and strategy.
- Anticipates and develops plans to address emerging EHS trends, directives and regulations.
- Provides input to federal and state regulators through trade associations and industry groups for the writing and revision of regulations as appropriate
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL
Describe the type and extend to which knowledge of a specific type is required to perform this job in a satisfactory manner. Where skills can be obtained through formal training / education and experience. List the type and amount of education and experience that would typically prepare an individual for this position.
- Four year college degree in a related field with 5-7 years industry experience as well as a certification in hazardous materials management, safety, industrial hygiene and/or a Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Master Business Administration or advanced science degree preferred.
Experience / Knowledge Desired:
- Direct experience in a chemical or pharmaceutical industry is beneficial.
- Proven ability to direct, motivate, lead and negotiate with diverse population and multi-functional teams.
- Incumbent is frequently required to work independently and make significant decisions without consultation with supervision.
- Through understanding of department philosophy and objectives is a base from which decisions are made.
- A knowledge of safety and environmental principles and regulations is necessary. Individual must possess and be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of applicable regulations with an ongoing update of information as regulations change.
- Ability to develop proactive programs with the judgment and skill to implement in a timely fashion is critical.
- Demonstrates capability in managing multiple projects/tasks, understands the EHS workload, effectively prioritizes tasks, communicates project/task status and ensures timely closure of assignments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated capabilities in effective negotiations, influencing, advocacy and presentations to all employee and management levels including maintenance, laboratory, and external regulatory agencies. Strengths in customer service and cooperative teaming.
- Respond to emergencies and major accidents. Must evoke confidence and ability to respond to rapidly changing situations.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, especially related to facilitation, documentation and reporting.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.