Emergency Department Technician - ED, FT Day/Night Rotation
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon New Hampshire
The ED Technician provides patient care and operational support for patients in the Emergency Department (ED) during varying states of health and illness. The ED Technician functions as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team and must be able to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities while demonstrating excellent communication skills. Duties are performed in accordance with hospital policies and procedures under the direction and supervision of the nurse manager.
1. Assists with patient care activities under the supervision of the Registered Nurse including, but not be limited to, performing activities of daily living (ADL's), obtaining clinical data, including vital signs, EKGs, utilizing universal precautions, collecting specimens, performing point of care testing and recording results in medical record.
2. Applies splints and immobilizers, removes IV’s after completion of competencies.
3. Assists in maintaining a clean and safe work environment by keeping the hallways clear, emptying linen bags etc., to keep the unit neat and tidy.
4. Restocks patient rooms, supply carts and equipment units.
5. Assists visitors, volunteers, and patient family/friends.
6. Mentors new co-workers to the unit.
7. Assists in monitoring and/or caring of patients who require close observation (suicidal/elopement risks, patients in restraints and/or seclusion).
8. Performs clerical functions including answering phones, faxing, managing critical communication and able to prioritize and multi task during periods of high stress.
9. Manages patient health information and electronic medical records.
10. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
A high school graduate or equivalent required.
Excellent communication skills desired with the ability to work collaboratively as member of multi-disciplinary team in a chaotic environment.
Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and keyboarding skills
Required Licensure/Certification Skills:
National Registered (EMT) Emergency Medical Technician with a New Hampshire Providers License from the New Hampshire Bureau of Emergency Medical Services. (NHBEMS)
Licensed Nursing Assistant (LNA) in State of New Hampshire
Either EMT or LNA required, not both
Basic Life Support (current)
Management of Aggressive Behaviors (MOAB) required within 6 months of hire