General Dynamics Information Technology, Arlington Virginia
Type of Requisition:Regular
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess:Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain:Secret
Suitability:No Suitability Required
Public Trust/Other Required:
Job Family:Field Engineering
We are GDIT. The people supporting and securing some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. Our work has meaning and impact on the world around us, but also on us, and that's important. GDIT is your place. You make it your own by embracing autonomy, seizing opportunity, and being trusted to deliver your best every day. We think. We act. We deliver. There is no challenge we can't turn into opportunity.
GDIT is seeking a Cable Technician to join our team and help support the JSP-ETM activities at the Pentagon in Arlington, VA.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is contingent upon contract funding.
As a Cable Technician, you will be trusted to complete installation and documentation of new and/or updated Inside Plant cable infrastructure to include conduit, cable trays, copper, coax, fiber and all associated elements in the Pentagon, Mark Center, & buildings within the NCR supported by JSP in accordance with scope of work statements. In this role, a typical day will include:
- Analyzes, administers, and maintains telecommunications and network cabling infrastructure.
- Responsible for tasks assigned by Coordinators in connection with service orders and repair activities related to Category 6 cabling, Voice over IP networks (VOIP), and fiber optic cabling infrastructure.
- Dress, terminate and test cables and components, Ability to work with power tools and ladders
- Ability to work well with others and communicate with supervisors. Computer literate with basic Networking Skills
- Installs, maintains and repairs voice and data communications systems
- Interprets service orders, circuit diagrams, and electrical schematics
- Tests, locates, installs, and repairs cabling infrastructure associated with trouble calls, and performs routine maintenance
- Verifies work order information and receipt of all necessary equipment and information
- Verifies service by testing installed cabling; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems
- Well versed in the use of network cabling test equipment including network testers, copper cable testers, fiber OTDRs and fiber power meters.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables; recording configuration diagrams and specifications
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages; testing network back-up procedures; updating documentation
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned
- Participates in special projects as required
- Identify, track and remove abandoned cable, and keep cable neatly tied and bundled while maintaining safety standards
- Active Secret clearance
- Associates Degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training or work experience.
- 3+ years of related telecommunications experience.
- Experience in fabricating, installing, maintaining, and repairing of electronic, mechanical, and/or other types of components and equipment.
- Must be familiar with BICSI rules, regulations, and standard
- Must follow JSP and commercial best practice procedures, standards required for installation of cable racks, wiring of the racks and testing required during installation.
- Strong customer service experience
- Ability to communicate effectively to personnel of various expertise levels.
- Problem analysis and problem solving.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Telecommuting Options:Telecommuting Not Allowed
Work Location:USA VA Arlington
Additional Work Locations:We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.