for the Sous Chef - Sheraton Needham Hotel position
Sign in with your FlashRecruit credentials
Sous Chef - Sheraton Needham Hotel
Needham - Waterton
Founded over a box of Pop-Tarts® in 1995 by David Schwartz and Peter Vilim, Waterton has grown from very humble beginnings with one phone and two desks to the successful, nationally recognized real estate investment and management firm it is today. As Waterton has evolved and grown, one thing has remained constant, the drive to achieve results by exceeding expectations.
Waterton’s values of Service Excellence, Empowerment, Integrity, Passion, Achievement and Teamwork are our guiding principles and they shape who Waterton is as an organization. When you join Waterton, you will learn new skills, acquire knowledge and use these values to help you grow in your career and fulfill your professional goals.
Waterton is committed to the service of our associates, residents, guests and investors and firmly believes that our superior ability to serve our customers differentiates us. We empower our associates to think and act like an owner and use our core values as guiding principles to serve our customers in a way that exceeds their expectations, going above and beyond to create the ultimate service experience or what we call Resitality!
The Sous Chef is responsible for providing the leadership expertise that ensures the effective and efficient operation of the kitchen & management of the Culinary team and to assist the Executive Chef in the overall management of the Kitchen in order to maximize profitability and to ensure superior guest service and product quality.
Participate in the development and execution of the Kitchen’s business strategies to maximize the profitability of the kitchen:
- Operate Kitchen in accordance with Brand, Waterton and Hotel standards of operations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of operating procedures and standards that support associates in their effort to deliver exceptional service and teamwork.
- Control costs by adhering to standards of operations for forecasting, budgeting, scheduling, payroll control and other expense management systems.
- Manage labor costs, food controls, equipment maintenance and training leading to increased profitability.
Participate in the development and implementation of menu and dining strategies which are aligned with the hotel’s targeted market position:
- Keep current with local competition; adjusts menu periodically to create a “point of difference” in the marketplace.
- Research guest preferences and develops a menu which incorporates local foods and flavors in a casual dining experience.
- Seek out sources for fresh food’ monitors all produce and meat for freshness.
- Tailor menu based on product availability; creates distinctive daily specials that incorporate seasonal or special order ingredients.
- Maintain product consistency by conducting inspections of seasonings, portion and appearance of food.
- Coordinate service with restaurant and banquet operations.
Support the overall Kitchen operation by assisting the Executive Chef:
- Assist in the development and implementation of annual budget; monitor actual versus budgeted expenses.
- Participate in inventory, purchasing and disbursement of all food related supplies.
- Ensure that proper safety practices are followed.
- Schedule staff based upon forecasted volumes.
- Prepare reports summarizing food profitability, guest satisfaction, etc.
- Lead monthly departmental meetings in absence of Executive Chef.
- Ensure that the kitchen line is correctly set after each shift and all back areas are clean and ready for the next shift.
- Inspect all restaurant, banquet and room service areas to ensure proper maintenance is maintained. Report any maintenance issues to the appropriate department on the proper forms.
- Requisition of food and beverage by maintaining proper par levels. Maintain proper stock rotation.
- Ensure sanitation standards are maintained by direct observation and inspection of all service/kitchen area. Develop supervisors, cooks, and stewards responsibility and understanding of all job duties and standards, thus instilling initiative and accountability and improving level of service and their career development.
- Handle guest complaints to gain guest understanding and satisfaction.
- Discuss in advance through pre-shift with all staff to ensure their full understanding of service standards, menu items, BEOs, floor plans, specials, and ensure that grooming and general appearance conforms to hotel standards.
- Complete administrative duties including payroll, scheduling, tip declaration, and forecasting.
- Participate in monthly inventories.
- Responsible for maintaining and communicating effectively with the F&B staff and kitchen staff in a timely manner, as well as developing good lines of communication with all other departments.
- Responsible for close communication of all expected business levels on a daily basis, before and during shifts, with the Executive Chef and other kitchen staff.
Create guest satisfaction by providing associates with the training and resources they need to maximize associates engagement and deliver exceptional service and teamwork:
- Communicate and reinforce the vision for exceptional service to associates.
- Ensure that associates provide genuine hospitality and teamwork on an ongoing basis. Firm, direct and self-assured in associate communications.
- Capable of delegating some authority, with close follow-up and control.
- Use teamwork to support guests/members and associates.
- Seek opportunities to improve the guest experience by seeking guest feedback, reviewing management reports and developing strategies to improve department and hotel services.
- Provide associates with the tools, training and environment they need to deliver exceptional service and teamwork.
- Forward planning and organization of the kitchen to include training, maintenance, forecasting and development of team and business.
- Interview all potential candidates for hire according to established needs.
Develop and implement strategies and practices which support associate engagement:
- Provide associates with the orientation and training needed to understand expectations and perform job responsibilities.
- Weekly schedule and payroll functions to maximize profitability, efficiency and satisfaction.
- Communicate performance expectations and provide associates with on-going feedback.
- Provide associates with coaching and counseling as needed to achieve performance objectives and reach their fullest potential.
Candidates most successful in this role will display the following characteristics:
Specialized Expertise – Technical problem solving and ingenuity while working within approved organizational systems and technology; new ideas and concepts carefully analyzed and tested before communication and adoption; maintains high standards of quality and accuracy.
Leadership – Defined span of control; demonstrates a sense of urgency with self and others; assures consistent achievement of quality standards; makes decisions that support company guidelines authoritatively and efficiently. Faster-than-average pace of work.
Team Leader – Team roles clearly defined; gives subordinates structured opportunity to develop their own expertise and capability for quality work; effective delegator.
Results Oriented - Drive, determination and a self-disciplined approach to achieving results that meet established standards.
- Desire to participate as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Ability to assess/evaluate other associate’s performance in a fair and consistent manner.
- Ability to make decisions with only general policies and procedures available for guidance. Calculated decision making.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen.
- Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally.
- Minimum of a High school education/or equivalent required. Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Culinary Arts. Hotel/Restaurant or Busine
No job matches. Start a new search below!