for the Quality Manager position
Sign in with your FlashRecruit credentials
St. Helena - Constellation Brands
Manage routine lab activities and personnel in the analysis and evaluation of wines through chemical, physical, and microbiological tests in order to achieve optimal quality and stability of wines throughout aging and through to the finished bottled product. Take the lead on key initiatives related to food safety and sanitation, ensuring that facility operations and records meet all legal and practical requirements. Work collaboratively with the Production team, particularly Winemaking and the Cellar, to ensure the successful flow of production activities.
- Ensure that all wine lots have current and complete analysis and input analytical data as needed; work with Winemaking to track and monitor wines.
- Coordinate the setup and cleanup of all winemaking and production tasting and blending events.
- Ensure laboratory equipment is maintained through regularly scheduled PM; effectively troubleshoot analytical instrumentation/methodology to resolve analytical discrepancies and achieve accurate data for the Winemaking team.
- Manage monthly and annual monitoring of the laboratory budget, and the purchase of lab operating supplies and analytical equipment within approved budgets.
- Develop proficiency of lab staff in the performance of all analyses to ensure rigorous compliance with the highest standards of precision and accuracy for approved methods.
- Create a lab training program including in-house and off-site coursework, as necessary.
- Oversee writing, updating and maintaining laboratory procedures and the Chemical Hygiene Plan, including an up to date chemical inventory and SDS binder.
- Assist in the ongoing development, and maintenance, of a winery QC program designed for early identification of problem/concern lots, collection of analytical/micro information prior to wine finishing, and routine analysis of bottled wines.
- Serve as point person for inter-laboratory corroborative testing programs. Recommends and assists the Winemaking team with experimental and research programs to enhance winemaking techniques and knowledge.
- Provide technical information, as necessary, to resolve winemaking and other product quality issues; generate ideas in research and development, experimental design, quality control activities and winemaking goals.
Food Safety and Sanitation Program Management:
- Manage the winery GMP program, keeping all documents current and attending training and informational events, as necessary, to keep winery staff up to date on pertinent developments in the wine industry’s responsibilities with regards to FSMA/GMPs and FDA inspections; participate in inspections as appropriate.
- Serve as the winery’s sanitation point person, managing the HACCP program and monthly sanitation audits and follow-up.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline, including 3+ years technical experience in a consumer goods industry
- Well-developed organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work harmoniously with co-workers in a team environment, and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors
- Proficiency of MS Word and Excel essential
- Ability/flexibility to work extended hours and/or 6 days a week during the peak harvest season
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Enology, Food Science or Chemistry
- Supervisory experience (even within project management areas sufficient)
- Alcohol beverage industry
- Budget experience is beneficial
- Experience with wine tracking software preferred
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Work Environment:
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Must be able to move up to 55 lbs
- Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is not eligible for employer-visa sponsorship
LocationSt. Helena, California
Job TypeFull time
Job AreaOperations and Production
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Brands, regardless of their sex, race, color, age, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), marital status, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), familial status, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions (or any other group or category within the framework of the applicable discrimination laws and regulations).
No job matches. Start a new search below!