for the Billing Manager position
Sign in with your FlashRecruit credentials
New York - Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
The Billing Manager is responsible for billing management and the entire New York billing process and limited accounting management specific to the New York operations by performing essential duties personally or through delegation/supervision of subordinates. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but may not be limited to, the following.
- Manage and supervise the New York office Billing and Accounting staff. This includes performance reviews, hiring new personnel, training, etc.
- Manage and oversee all New York Billing and Accounting Department functions and organization assuring work is completed accurately and effectively within defined deadlines.
- Implement billing and limited accounting procedures as they relate to Firm policies.
- Oversee and manages the billing process for the New York office including pre-bills, invoices, e-billing, alternative fee arrangements, credit programs, specific cash applications, etc..
- Implement Accounting procedures as they relate to the Accounting database system for efficient data entry and workflow. Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the Accounting database system.
- Oversee training and support to members of other departments concerning billing and accounting procedures as they relate to the accurate preparation and submission of paperwork to the Billing and Accounting Departments.
- Maintain hands-on knowledge of all accounting-related functions in order to provide proper training, backup, and support including, but may not be limited to, accounts payable, cash receipts, petty cash, advance accounts, attorney reimbursements, and billing.
- Work closely with National e-Billing Manager to ensure accurate submittal of e-Bills and the prompt resolution of client disputes and appeals.
- Work closely with Attorneys in establishing special rates and implementing client billing guidelines in time reporting and billing.
- Assessment of billing policies; process improvement analysis and implementation.
- Investigate and resolve problems, questions, and issues from all personnel as they relate to billing procedures.
- Ability to train staff on technical, financial, billing and accounting topics in addition to soft skills and critical thinking.
- Work with vendors to implement automated on-line billing or invoicing systems.
- Provide backup to other areas of billing when needed, such as client services, shared billings, and annual system maintenance projects.
- Complete special projects as requested and furnish accounting-related information and reports as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent and twelve or more years related experience (with 7-10 years’ experience at a management level) preferably in a legal or professional services firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong supervisory experience and knowledge of the accounting/billing processes and reporting requirements used by a large national law firm are preferred.
- Computer proficient with extensive knowledge and understanding of Accounting database systems (Aderant-CMS, ARCS), MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and Outlook preferred. Strong MS Excel skills are essential. Experience with e-Billing processes and e-Billing Hub experience a plus.
- Ability to develop professional relationships with attorneys and clients acting as their liaison to the Finance department and their trusted advisor on all billing procedures.
- Possess a strong customer service mentality for both internal and external clients.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of billing principles and practices in order to perform essential duties.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex billing issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e?mail, or verbally.
- Ability to work overtime as needed in order to meet Billing deadlines.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.
No job matches. Start a new search below!