for the Asphalt Roller Operator position
Sign in with your FlashRecruit credentials
Asphalt Roller Operator
Becker - OMG Midwest, Inc
Job ID: 117883
Hardrives, Inc. an Oldcastle Materials Company, was established in 1963 in St. Cloud, Minnesota with asphalt paving as its primary business. From the largest highway construction project to the simplest paving repair, we bring experience, skill, and commitment to everything we do in order to provide quality results every time. Throughout the years, we have made significant investments every year in training, safety, and quality improvement programs. For over 50 years, Hardrives inc. has been the paving contractor-of-choice for major government, commercial, and residential projects.
Asphalt Roller Operator
Oldcastle Materials Group/Central Division
A Roller Operator will be responsible for operating machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds. Drives heavy roling machine to compact earth fills. subgrade, streets, and runways. Moves levers, depresses pedals, turns handwheels, and pushes throttle to control and guide machine. Drives machine in successive overlapping passes over survace to be compacted. Determines direction speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures, so that ridges are not formed by excessive pressure. Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
- Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
- Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
- Place strips of material such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material. .
- Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
- Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Education/Experience
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience and/or training in a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- CDL preffered but not required.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary; some overnight travel may be required.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of aggregate sizes and classifications.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as being able to work independently with attention to detail.
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to climb ladders and to work at heights.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to exert up to 10-20 lbs. constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs. of force frequently, and 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Follow Oldcastle Careers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, WordPress (Career Blog) and LinkedIn!
American Concrete Products is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, pleas
No job matches. Start a new search below!