- Supervises and directs the work of assigned professional, technical and clerical employees in the planning, design and/or management of construction of complex, multi-disciplined Capital projects.
- Reviews and directs the work performed by consultants; supervises and directs the design and/or management of construction of Capital or Operations related projects involving the water and sewer system or water treatment and pumping facilities.
- Seeking experienced candidates with Planning/Design or Construction focus.
- Evaluates work, recommends and implements approved disciplinary and/or corrective action;
- Provides training and/or technical assistance as requested or required
- Prepares RFPs for consultant services, bid documents, ordinances, resolutions, deed searches, etc. for the full implementation of company' s Capital projects
- Reviews shop drawings; designs approved internal research studies for assigned projects
- Reviews all reports and studies prepared by assigned personnel to monitor progress and to identify problems and delays
- Recommends approval of change orders, requisitions for payment, etc.
- Identifies problems and potential hazards in all phases of work on assigned projects.
- Recommends and implements approved corrective action to adhere to schedule and project budget
- Meets with representatives of other governmental agencies, City Departments, consultants, contractors and public on proposed projects, problems arising in the work, etc.
- Directs the performance of design work performed in-house and under consultant agreements as well as the performance of construction work under contract
- Ensures that RFP' s, specifications, designs, contract provisions and work performed comply fully with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations; initiates payment forms for work performed by consultants and/or contractors.
- Maintains records and prepares accurate reports, correspondence, etc. as requested or required; plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
- Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees. Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel and/or other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
Knowledge / Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of the design and/or management of construction of multi-disciplined Capital water and sewer projects; and of the principles, practices and techniques in the water and sewer engineering field.
- Some knowledge of the policies and procedures of the administration of water and sewer Capital projects; of the safety hazards and precautions of the work; and of relevant labor agreements and personnel policies and procedures.
- Ability to complete design and/or construction projects within schedule and budget; to prepare RFP' s for consultant services, bid documents, etc.
- Ability to evaluate design work and/or construction projects; to apply regulatory codes (e.g., city, state, federal, etc.) and standards affecting the work.
- Proficient in supervising and directing the work of assigned professional, technical, and clerical personnel; to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of self and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
- Applicant must become domiciled within one of the following Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Indiana, Washington or Westmoreland at time of appointment and remain domiciled within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the client organization.
- Verification of domicile is required at time of appointment.
- Must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator' s License at the time of application or prior to appointment.
- A valid driver’ s license must be maintained throughout employment.
- To be considered eligible for this position, the application must clearly show a minimum total of eight (8) years of engineering experience with four years’ experience as a design and/or resident engineer on major construction projects.
- Water/waste water experience is preferred, Bachelor' s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related civil engineering field.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) License in the state of Pennsylvania preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers. Reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; and taste and smell.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb and balance.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus