Director, Ranch and Livestock Management
Our client, who is a progressive thought leader in the beef industry, is looking for a Director of Ranch and Livestock Management to join its supply chain operations senior team. This position will direct the overall daily operations of the large, western states, grass fed cattle business. The ideal candidate will provide leadership, supervision, professional communication, and direction to staff across all the ranch and livestock enterprises. The company is proud to offer an atmosphere in which their employees can grow and progress through work experience, training, innovation, and technology enhancement. If you are passionate about sustainable World Class grass fed ranching, come help us make a difference and become part of something GREAT!
Some of the key duties are:
- Produce and deliver high quality market ready cattle into the companies branded program for harvest in consistently peak condition.
- Oversee an extensive system of self-operated and full care production ranches. Maintain professional and respectful relationships with all landlords, business partners, and contributors.
- Communication and leadership to optimize cattle and forage potential across our production enterprise.
- Assist in the development and management of the annual ranch budgets. Proactively manage financial performance and development of intensive systems-based plans to achieve financial and production targets year-round.
- Develop and improve operational systems, processes and policies to support company growth, quality enhancement and information flow.
- Maintain and track inventory and condition of cattle, feedstuffs/forage, infrastructure and other supplies.
- Lead and coach personnel to provide a “World Class” level of care within a grass-fed cattle operation.
- Responsible for team member development and allocation of labor across all ranches…including employees, day help, veterinarians, in-house and contracted trucking.
- Identify new opportunities for cattle, feed, and ranches that optimize enterprise efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure weekly, monthly and annual record keeping is maintained and shared to support financial and cattle certification needs.
- Develop management strategies that would work into seasonal production systems to improve year-round production capability and eliminate bottlenecks and unproductive periods.
- Ensure safety and security of all assets including employees, equipment, forage, feed and animal inventories.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Animal Science, Range Science, Agricultural Business, or related.
- field strongly preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years intensive animal feeding or related business experience and at least 10 years in the protein production industry with extensive budgetary responsibility, including leadership and supervision of operational programs that demonstrate an ability to establish and perpetuate a positive team effort.
- Excellent communication, time management, and leadership skills.
- The ability to apply relationship skills, diplomacy, and common sense/wisdom to a wide variety of problem-solving situations.
- Proven ability to understand and manage the diverse components of a complex operation and ecosystem, including organic cattle production with planned grazing management and noxious weed control.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing challenges and opportunities and making sound recommendations and decisions.
- Previous experience developing and managing large enterprise budgets.
What is in it for you!
- Competitive compensation package
- Develop a system around your skills and a chance to cast your own light on the system
- Work hand and hand with a solid experienced management team
- Able to make a difference by exhibiting your leadership and management skills
- Very flat organization and a great culture that respects family and community
- Young company that relishes people that are driven and want opportunity to grow with/in it
*Candidates must be eligible to work in the US as well as meet the qualifications listed above in order to be considered for the Directory, Ranch and Livestock Management job.