Senior Financial SQL DBA
New York, NY
Currently seeking a Senior Database Administrator in New York to join a small team as the only DBA. In order to qualify for this position, the incumbent should have experience within the financial industry and extensive experience/exposure assisting with front, middle, and back-office business application deployments, and not simply IT systems.
Responsibilities of the Senior Financial SQL DBA
- Hands-on responsibility for the daily operation of all SQL databases at the firm including environment support and management, monitoring and tuning, and working with enterprise database technologies.
- Support and lead initiatives in database management, data architecture, and business intelligence.
- Subject matter expert of the end-to-end operational design and methodology behind the entire environment, and technical resource for operations, technology and management staff.
- Expected to be hands-on in all database-related activities, including: daily maintenance; driving problem resolution; participate in technical calls; and contributing to technology solutions.
- Ensure uptime and availability (replication, clustering, mirroring, etc.), and develop and manage data flows within the environment (archiving, business reporting, data warehouses, etc.).
- Promote data standards, system procedures and security policies, and best practices, e.g. Dev/UAT/Prod environments and QA & release control, and access/rights certifications.
- Collaborate with business user groups and Development and System Administration teams to plan and communicate rollouts/releases/patches, optimize/streamline Development processes and decisions, and bridge knowledge gaps between database systems and business applications.
- Be the " go-to" person for every database in the firm.
- Must see the “ BIG PICTURE” – working with developers, database group, infrastructure group and the business to ensure policy, procedure, efficiency & stability across multiple business units.
Requirements of the Senior Financial SQL DBA
- Bachelor' s Degree in Management Information Systems or Computer Science
- MCDBA (Microsoft Certified Database Administrator) preferred
- Financial database experience a plus (i.e. Portia, Charles River, Cadis, etc.)
- Minimum 10 years of experience administering MS SQL Server over a Windows Server enterprise environment, in both OLTP and OLAP environments for the financial industry
- Solid/Expert knowledge of DBA tasks in SQL Server – must be able to perform installations, tuning and optimization, monitoring, backup/restore, troubleshooting, data replication, D/R & business continuity, clustering, and trend/growth analysis
- Minimum 5 years of experience with data security techniques/measures, including user and role permissions and auditing, penetration and vulnerability tests, and restricting SQL access
- Ability to develop/employ tools that proactively identify database issues
- Experience supporting 24x7 production environments and case tracking/escalation tools
- Experience with any Business Intelligence (BI) tools (e.g. Microsoft OLAP/SSAS) desired
- Knowledge of IIS, SQL Server Notification Services, VB Scripting, Data warehousing in the Financial Services industry, and Sharepoint is a plus
- Able to wear multiple hats to work collaboratively