Position Summary: Director, Pre-Construction & Estimation
The position’ s primary responsibilities are developing relationships with customers, identifying available jobs, scoping projects, prepare quantity take-offs, formulating cost estimates, estimating material and labor costs and preparing/submitting bid documents. For awarded contracts the Director of Pre-Construction & Estimation will manage the assembly of requisitions, submittals, job control systems, billings and financial analyses to assure success and profitability. Duties include Project Scoping, Subcontractor Management, Estimation, Bid Preparation and Management Reporting. Recommends changes when necessary and assists in implementation of new processes.
Project Scoping. Coordinates with client to assist them in establishing the project scope and standards of construction projects. Assesses scope, location of the job and all other relevant aspects of the project.
Subcontractor Management. Communicates projects to subcontractors and solicits pricing per specifications. Canvasses the marketplace to identify new subcontractors in specific divisions of labor and confirms market pricing. Estimates labor, materials, and special machinery requirements required to execute each project, to include gathering information on site location, access, and water accessibility, availability of electricity and ease of access to other services. Also will make note of and examine the surface topography and drainage, if applicable.
Bid Preparation. Prepares bids in accordance with project scope and company profitability requirements.
Construction Management. Manages field construction team to complete projects in accordance with project scope, schedule and profitability.
Management Reporting. Responsible for providing the necessary reports for visibility into the project’ s budget, profitability and schedule. Primary responsibility for alerting management of project defects that will cause the company financial harm, i.e. outstanding accounts receivable, unbudgeted expenses, etc.
• Bachelors of Science in Building Construction, Construction Management, Construction Engineering or equivalent degree.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in corporate, industrial or commercial estimation with requisite knowledge of building construction, materials and methods.
• Skill in reading and interpreting drawings, plans and specifications is required.
• Experience with the requisite pre-construction software, estimation tools and industry best practices are required.
• Candidates must have strong financial and analytical skills, as they’ ll as an eye for detail.
• Knowledge of building codes and electrical, or plumbing, or mechanical and related codes is essential.
• Knowledge of the laws and ordinances regulating building construction.
• Candidates with some experience managing projects in the field are preferred.