Machine Learning Scientist, Investment Research
Our client, a global leader in investment management, is growing a team dedicated to alternative data and the application of machine learning in investment research and portfolio management. The ideal candidate has deep experience in statistics and computer science, experience commercializing machine learning research as a product or business, and a strong interest (if not experience) in financial markets.
This is a position for an AI/ML expert with significant commercial experience (and likely formal leadership experience), but it is ultimately the role is that of an individual contributor. Qualified candidates will be given the opportunity to lead critical initiatives as a leading AI expert, but must be excited to be hands-on and work as a member of a team. Altogether, qualified candidates will be compensated commensurate with their level of experience.
The team is seeking to add an expert Machine Learning Scientist. In this role, you will have an opportunity to research impactful questions in financial markets, new technologies, changing industries, economies, and use those insights to the benefit institutions and individuals who count on the firm to make prudent investment decisions for them. You will use creative research methods, have industry-leading access to data and experts, and collaborate with colleagues around the world.
The primary focus of the analyst will be to work with investment professionals (Analysts, PMs, etc.) in the identification of novel data sets and the application of advanced data analytics and machine learning techniques to enhance investment decision making capabilities. The Analyst will be part of a cross-functional team tasked with integrating advanced data analytics techniques into the research process of various teams and disciplines across the firm.
- Conduct applied research into available data sets and analytical methodologies which may prove useful in enhancing the investment process
- Pursue projects in these areas from idea generation and prototyping to potentially validation within the investment community and putting into production
- Act as an internal consultant and research analyst to assist investment professionals in evaluating and pursuing data-oriented research projects
- Where feasible, identify and pursue opportunities for incorporation of these research ideas into the Quantitative Group’ s stock selection models.
This person must be inquisitive, intellectually curious and capable of managing the demands of multiple projects at one time. S/he should be a quick study with high energy. This position is appropriate for individuals with strong analytical capabilities, strong written and verbal communication skills, and an eagerness to apply both in the context of a collaborative investment decision-making process.
- Strong academic record with an advanced degree in a quantitative field such as computer science, engineering, mathematics, or statistics
- Experience working with probability, statistics, time-series and cross-sectional analysis, especially with very large data sets
- Proficiency with one or more modern functional and object-oriented programming languages
- Expertise with software frameworks supporting scientific computing, data management, mathematical optimization, and machine learning
- Effective communications skills, both written and oral
- Curiosity and ability to tackle problems creatively; strong work ethic
- Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize time well
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively in a cross-functional team
- Interest in applying computational methods to tackle challenging real-world problems within a domain such as finance and economics