Senior Tax Manager
Regal Executive Search, Midland Texas
Senior Tax Manager
Our client is a large regional full service public accounting firm that is consistently ranked as a top 50 firm nationally. They have nearly 10 offices in multiple states
Recently named a BEST PLACE TO WORK nationwide,
They serve a broad range of clients including large national and international companies, public and privately-held businesses, nonprofit organizations and governmental entities.
Our Midland office is currently seeking a friendly, enthusiastic, high-energy individual to join our Firm as a Senior Manager in our Tax department.
Tax Senior Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Core Competency is the demonstrated ability to carry out the primary responsibilities of the job which should be reflected in the essential duties section of the job description.
- Is experienced at performing and can direct research of accounting treatment and complex tax returns. Accounting specialists perform technical reviews of financial statements, and special projects. Accounting services specialists demonstrate the ability to review and research complex GAAP and reporting issues.
- Provide feedback on performance to members within the Firm’ s reporting process, monitors CPE needs and requests specialized training for staff.
- Review documentation prepared/reviewed by Managers, Senior Associates and Associates and provides feedback to enhance learning and complete engagement objectives.
- Responsible for assisting and actively participating in the development of departmental training, methodology and tools.
- Continue to demonstrate the firm’ s billing standards and meet the required billing goals set with your Direct Report Manager.
- Regular contribution to firm and service line administrative functions.
- Enhance client relationships through strong communication and project management skills; maintains relationships with client throughout the year and identify other service opportunities when possible.
- Take lead role in preparing and delivering proposals.
- Monitors engagement progress against client expectations.
- Develop extensive knowledge in niche area.
- Responsible for ensuring engagement staff follow up on open items and issues and that engagement deliverables are completed timely.
- Proactively works on Business Development activities including internal and external marketing.
- Consistent completion of tax returns, financial statements, and/or special projects.
- Leadership role in directing Managers and Senior Associates in engagement planning activities that includes establishing time budgets, ensuring required documentation are completed, designing programs and identifying risks or significant matters that require further discussion with the Engagement Partner or firm specialist.
- Plan multiple concurrent client engagements and projects, including scheduling, deploying of resources and exhibits effective project management.
- Continually develops, mentors, and trains Associates, Senior Associates, and Managers by actively cultivating an environment that challenges, encourages, and fosters professional and personal growth.
- Demonstrates the ability to plan, execute, and deliver work independently with limited or no supervision on large complex engagements.
- Supervise up to 15 or more staff on multiple concurrent engagements.
- Supervise progress of staff by monitoring benchmarks against engagement objectives; provide performance feedback when needed.
- Perform a review of the work prepared by Associates, Senior Associates, and Managers for coverage, completeness, accuracy, and technical proficiency.
- Effectively delegate tasks to facilitate professional development and efficient utilization of firm resources.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of tax return and financial statement processes.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve engagement issues, consulting with the Engagement Partner and firm specialists as necessary.
- Consistently take ownership of assigned engagement objectives and demonstrate the ability to plan multiple concurrent engagements while maintaining the department staff schedule.
- Keep team members apprised of engagement and scheduling issues on a timely basis.
- Work with your Direct Report to develop a charge goal, along with a plan to achieve and monitor your monthly and annual goal.
- Work with Partner to develop an appropriate plan of professional development, professional reading, and CPE, and take responsibility to ensure that plan is achieved.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the client’ s operations, accounting systems, financial condition, and the industry in which it operates.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship and demonstrate effective communication with client personnel at appropriate levels.
- Maintain appropriate professionalism in client and team interactions.
- Responsible for ensuring that deliverables and workpapers produced by team members are clear, concise, well written, and in conformity with firm standards and professional requirements.
- Proficient at prioritizing and managing multiple engagements within given timeframes and budget parameters, and strive for adherence.
- Adhere to the Firm’ s policies and procedures, ACTION philosophy, demonstrate their importance to others, and provide input to management on suggested modifications to Firm policies and procedures as necessary
- Be familiar with and adhere to relevant ethical requirements of the AICPA, contained in the Code of Professional Conduct, the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, and the Texas Society of CPA’ s in discharging their professional responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, unless it would cause an undue hardship. The employee or potential employee still has his or her responsibility to be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
Education and Professional Credentials:
- Bachelor’ s degree in Accounting or related field.
- Masters degree in Accounting or related field preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Team orientation and strong interpersonal skills.
- CPA with 8 or more years of experience in public accounting.
- Outstanding leadership skills.
- Possess technical knowledge sufficient to supervise Staff and Managers in a wide variety of industries and perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Demonstration of independent thinking and strong decision-making skills.
- Proven ability to manage and develop staff.
- Strong relationship management and practice development skills.
- Experience with a variety of industries and all aspects of federal tax laws. Accounting Service Senior Managers will be experienced with a wide variety of industries and all aspects of GAAP and financial reporting.
- Demonstrates a proven ability to attract and service new clients and expand services to existing clients.