The Tax Senior Manager is responsible for advising clients on the tax implications of their business objections, evaluating and selecting alternative actions to lessen tax burden and cost of compliance, identifying different methods of complying with tax regulations while acting as the primary client contact for complex tax issues.
In this role, the Tax Senior Manager is charged with applying knowledge to understand potential tax issues, and recognizing, communicating potential risks and potential changes in the tax policy and making top-level decisions regarding filing, preparation and resolution of questions from federal / state agencies.
In addition, the Tax Senior Manager will be critical member of the office / region leadership team and actively participate in the marketing, networking and business development within an area of expertise and specialization while maintaining client relationships and acting as the primary contact for complex questions.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards,
· Conducts top level review of T/R and resolves all tax issues with client; involves specialists where appropriate
· Plans for early recognition of material tax and compliance issues and consults with the client and/or partner as appropriate
Identifies when research is needed; clearly and concisely frames issues to be researched; and clearly and concisely reports the analysis.
· Identifies complex issues to be researched by engagement team and provides research methodology for efficient research process
· Trains managers / staff on research skills and helps to appropriately frame tax issues for analysis
· Involves firm specialists, as appropriate
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
· Applies, correctly and proactively, ASC 740-10, and Firm policies, standards, and BDO TQM regarding them
· Helps others to learn and apply ASC 740-10 and Firm policies, standards, and BDO TQM regarding them
· Reviews tax provisions – applies in-depth knowledge of ASC 740-10 if applicable to practice work
· Reviews prepared workpapers
· Explains and discusses with the client components of the income tax provision and uncertain tax positions as well as other complexities surrounding ASC 740-10
Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
· Applies the combination of tax knowledge and knowledge of business/industry to recommend solutions
· Maximizes client benefits, especially by decreasing client taxes, while managing risk
· Monitors implementation of work plans (client service plan) if applicable for tax consulting projects to ensure they are efficiently and effectively conducted
· Manages written or phone inquiries from federal and state agencies with little or no assistance
· Provides effective assistance with protests at the appeals level
· Implements applicable Firm strategies
· Manages client expectations
Develops an in-depth understanding of the technical and practical issues and opportunities regarding one or more areas of taxation, e.g., individual, corporate, property, sales, corporate, pass-through, state and local, international, expatriate, transfer pricing, credits and incentives, compensation and benefits, accounting methods, R&D tax benefits.
· May be required to organize and conduct, or participate in conducting, effective external CPE training sessions in area of specialization, involving Firm specialists, at a minimum of once per year
· May train and mentor managers/seniors/associates on specialization areas
Introduces and develops new or improved ideas to improve the position of clients, the Firm, or Firm personnel, e.g., by reducing taxes or expenses or providing non-tax benefits.
· Researches and implements tax strategies, including experimentation with promising new strategies and ideas
· Consistently makes suggestions as to how previous work products or approaches can be improved
· May lead marketing campaigns, if applicable to role
· Presents complex strategies to clients and prospective clients
· Supervises associates and senior associates on all projects
· Reviews work prepared by associates and senior associates and provide review comments
· Trains Associates and Seniors how to use all current software tools
· Acts as a Career Advisor to associates and senior associates
· Schedules and manages workload of associates and senior associates
· Provides verbal and written performance feedback to associates and senior associates
· Bachelors degree in Accounting or other relevant field required
· Masters degree in Accounting beneficial, masters degree in taxation preferred
· Eight (8) or more years of prior tax experience required
· Prior supervisory experience required
· CPA certification preferred
· Possession of other professional degrees or certifications applicable to role beneficial
· Experience with Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook), and Adobe Acrobat
· Experience with tax research databases such as BNA and RIA Proficient in all tax compliance process software including GoFileRoom, GoSystemRS, Caseware, BNA Depreciation Software, or comparable programs and standard tax workpapers
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Superior verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to effectively delegate work as needed
· Strong analytical, research and critical thinking skills as well as decision-making skills
· Capacity to work well in a team environment
· Capable of developing and managing a team of tax professionals
· Ability to compose written tax advice
· Capable of effectively developing and maintaining client relationships
· Executive presence and ability to act as primary client contact for preparation and presentation of issues and resolutions to clients
Equal opportunity employer
To apply, send resume in word format with current salary for review and immediate interview.