The primary role of a Senior Mechanical Engineer is to develop the initial system design concepts and continue thru the complete engineering of all aspects of a project’s design. A Senior Engineer shall effectively and cohesively work with all team members and trade partners. The intent is that the Senior Engineer with be the engineering lead for the company and ensure the proper development of permit and construction documents, while simultaneously providing field support and coordination
Location: San Jose or Alameda
Reports to: Director, Engineering
- Be the lead engineer and provide HVAC and/or Plumbing system design and project planning for small and large projects
- Effectively manage time to meet project deliverables and schedules.
- Represent United Mechanical as a design professional and interface with clients at project design meetings
- Perform site visits to review and evaluate existing mechanical systems and provide energy and/or performance solutions
- Evaluate feasibility of new equipment or modifying existing systems considering costs, available space, time limitations, energy goals, project timeline and related economic factors.
- Present design options to United Mechanical project management and architect or client for evaluation
- Complete code required energy compliance documents and LEED calculations / certifications.
- Conduct engineering calculations; load calculations, equipment selection, energy analysis, acoustics, psychrometric, controls, fixture loading, pressure loss, etc.
- Provide supervision and/or technical direction (i.e., print interpretation, design intent, construction feasibility) to engineers, crafts, and/or superintendents to insure work is completed in alignment with the project requirements.
- Provide interpretations of all external codes, regulations, and specifications. Act as a senior technical person for the assigned projects
- Identify value engineering and constructability options on projects designed in-house as well as those designed by outside consultants
- Review and approve field design change requests prepared by field and area engineers.
- Interface with project managers and field staff throughout the design and construction of projects
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
Education Requirements and Relevant Skills:
- 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience
- 5 to 10 years of HVAC and /or plumbing experience for commercial and/or industrial projects
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate and California Professional Engineering License are preferred
- Excellent understanding of engineering fundamentals
- Working knowledge of system types, equipment, installation standards and procedures is necessary.
- Must be fully versed in local and State building codes.
- Must be proficient in use of Trace 700 and AutoCAD Version 2016 or later.
- Revit 2018 or BIM experience is preferred
- Good communication skills and be a team leader
- Ability to interact and coordinate design concepts with clients, architects and other trades
- Act as the lead engineer on projects with minimal supervision
- LEED accreditation and Green Building initiatives are preferred
- Management and leadership experience are preferred
- Ability to assume responsibility, interface and communicate with others is essential.