Job Title: Scientist 1, Chemistry Development
Job Location: 10975 Torreyana Road, San Diego, CA – 92121
Job Duration: 12 months (Contract on W2)
- Serve as chemist supporting the development of water-soluble synthetic polymers.
- Individual will primarily support the prototyping, troubleshooting and scaling of development materials.
- Responsibilities include purification, analysis, and post-modification of water-soluble polymers.
- Individual must be comfortable working in cross-functional teams under defined deadlines.
- The successful candidate will have experience with polymers, organic synthesis, macromolecule separations, and/or analytical characterization with excellent attention to detail and ability to follow standard, documented processes.
- Perform a variety of polymer processing, purification and characterization steps to support the generation of new polymer materials
- Purify aqueous polymers using common biochemistry techniques (filtration, SEC, etc.)
- Remove solvent via rotary evaporation and/or lyophilization
- Characterize polymer size by GPC/SEC chromatography using established standard processes
- Perform small scale dye labeling reactions according to established standard processes
- Perform established reactions to convert/activate functional groups on final polymers
- Optical characterization of the polymer dyes including measurement of absorbance and fluorescence emission spectra.
- Prepare outgoing materials and supporting (QC) documentation
- Provide assistance as needed to maintain functioning laboratory; including glassware cleaning, material ordering, inventory control and other duties.
- Support documentation of R&D results in company databases
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic organic synthesis skills
- Ability to follow established reaction protocols and standard processes
- Practice in using rotary evaporator
- Basic experience with UV/Vis and/or fluorescence spectroscopy
- Experience operating FPLC/HPLC/GPC equipment using established protocols preferred
- Documentation in lab notebooks, checklists and basic databases
Additional Laboratory Skills:
- Labeling and packaging
- Familiarity with separation/purification methods is a plus
- Strong attention to detail
- Works in a team-based environment
- Multi-task to cover a variety of job functions
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to follow established policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to maintain neat, accurate and complete notebook and batch records
- Ability to independently perform and analyze data and identify issues in routine tests
- Familiarity with operation of routine laboratory instruments and applicable software
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires BS in Chemistry or similar Life Science discipline
Typically requires minimum of 2 years of experience in a laboratory setting