Director, Supply Chain
Chatsworth, California - PEAK Technical Staffing USA
The Supply Chain Director will direct supply chain business unit groups in providing guidance to the purchasing staff, monitor and drive purchasing departments’ daily administrative throughput with regard to order actions / demand, RFQ / estimating and purchase order placements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Procure mechanical and subcontracted assemblies, major machined parts to include program management of subcontracted assemblies and highly engineered technical products.
- Act as Project Manager when handling special licensed products by coordinating activities between suppliers, purchasing, quality and engineering.
- Position requires a thorough knowledge of the commodities purchased, supply sources, contract methods and strategies and works at a high level of autonomy, with little supervision.
- This position directly impacts the company’s financial and legal commitments, as well as customer requirements.
- The qualified candidate will be required to professionally and effectively communicate with internal process customers and external suppliers, at all levels to provide appropriate support, resolve issues and ensure achievement of company goals and objectives.
- Incumbent will participate in cross-functional teams that are chartered with improving supplier quality and performance, to include driving continuous improvement through the supply chain.
- Subcontract administration duties may include the issue and receipt of major subcontract agreements, analysis for terms, conditions and business risks, developing negotiation objectives, negotiating with suppliers, documenting the results of negotiations and monitoring subcontract performance to achieve expected results.
- Requires full support and participation in Small Business Administration (SBA) program by meeting SBA goals through strategic sourcing, solicitations and order placements.
- The incumbent must thoroughly understand Aerospace quality ‘flow down’ requirements, which includes coordination of rejections, rework, repair and exchange of defective materials.
- Required to issue requests for corrective action and follows up for responses.
- Evaluates current, inherited (through adoptions) and potential sources of supply to identify and prioritize areas that require new sources of supply or needed performance improvement.
- Periodically, when possible, visits current and potential supplier’s facilities, reviews their literature or frequents their web site to stay abreast of their capabilities and latest technologies
- Interface with Engineering Department, Contracts and Quality to support manufacturing and delivery requirements.
- Will be involved with and may lead ‘continuous improvement’ team and value added activities.
- Required to keep commitments and may be asked to perform other projects or duties. Keep others informed of work progress, timetables and issues.
- The incumbent may be required to put in as many hours as it takes to get the job done.
Lead, manage, and motivate the Supply Chain Business Unit Groups in:
- Run and review reports daily to ensure: 1) PO placement of required items will be met in a proactive and timely manner and 2) OTD and quick resolution of late/past due line items.
- Control costs through negotiation, competitive bidding and economical buying. Leverage by utilizing key suppliers or resourcing
- Control inventory through strategic scheduling based upon purchasing history and MRP needs.
- Select suppliers based upon an understanding of requirements, individual supplier capabilities, capacity processes and approvals.
- Update system with current and accurate information. Examples are, but not limited to, MNDA status, DPS (denied party screening), Part maintenance, Lead Time and RFQ fields
- Effectively conduct follow up, contacting suppliers and/or sub-tiers when necessary to obtain status, pricing and lead time on all RFQs needed for PO placement; as well as on all open orders. (Utilize follow up guidelines document). Document follow-up activity in MRP system.
- Evaluate supplier lead times and delays to determine if their product and work progress will meet requirements. Expedite activities internally and externally as needed to ensure commitments are met.
- Place POs for all MRP demand, work orders and management approved requirements
- Manage work order PO placement, quantity splitting and tracking log.
- Expedite activities internally and externally as needed to ensure commitments are met.
- Report potential customer delivery delays and /or shortages to customer service, PLMs, and other concerned parties in an expeditious manner.
- Ensure timely PO placement by coordinating with engineering, quality and IT and ensure suppliers are receiving support to complete orders in a timely manner
- Track reason codes for POs placed late over 10 day window
- Discuss product non-conformances and OTD with inspection, quality control personnel, suppliers, and others to determine root cause and request corrective action when necessary.
- Actively monitor MRB activity, taking actions as requested and required.
- Negotiate and settle with suppliers in regards to rejections and rework costs.
- Recommend strategies to improve performance and delivery.
- Facilitate supplier pickups and deliveries.
- Manage and maintain metrics as required (metrics listed below under performance measurements).
- Attend and report out in meetings as requested.
- Engage in Problem solving and assist other team members to find resolution with issues that may hinder or delay PO placement.
- College degree in Business/Engineering or equivalent.
- Must have evidence of taking ISM (NAPM) or APICS education courses and obtaining certificate of completion.
- Must have 10+ years plus experience in Aerospace Procurement, with a good ‘hands on’ understanding of MRP planning (APICS training a plus) and the ability to read blueprints.
- Proficient in MS Outlook MS Word and Excel, above average knowledge of the commodities purchased, skilled at strategic sourcing and works at a level of autonomy with little supervision.
- Must have excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize multiple projects and execute accordingly.
- Possess negotiation skills in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Thoroughly understand Aerospace quality ‘flow down’ requirements.