North Hollywood, California - PEAK Technical Staffing USA
This position manages the purchasing activities of the various commodities (machined parts, castings, electrical, C-type items, springs, etc) by developing a supply base capable of delivering Companies' quality, delivery, and specification requirements at the lowest possible cost.The role includes managing supplier fulfillment by owning the fulfillment activity from purchase order issuance to part receipt into stock.The scope of work also includes new products to support product development timing with cost, sources and parts and supporting customer proposals.
As the manager of the purchasing department, this position will oversee the purchasing activities of a team of 10-15 buyers.The manager will be a mentor/coach to the buyers, set performance goals, priorities, raise the bar for best practices, and communicate team performance to management.
Areas of Business and Responsibilities:
Commodity Strategy Development
- Understand the client and its customer requirements.
- Effectively flow these down to the commodity strategy creation and execution.
- Identify current/future demand requirements for assigned commodities.
- Define supplier performance requirements including quality, cost and timing expectations with cross-functional teams.
- Evaluate current/potentials sources of supply to meet or exceed performance requirements.
- Evaluate supplier financial stability, labor status, manufacturing location, and product mix.
- Define price management approach and structure of commercial relationships to reach lowest total cost including terms to mitigate economic and currency fluctuations.
- Develop expertise on procurement of commodities related to hydraulic and pneumatic products and components & Aerospace quality/manufacturing requirements.
- Lead the internal make/buy decision process.
- Champion program sourcing teams.
- Support Early Supplier Involvement, sourcing process to identify suppliers on time and secure supplier agreement to achieve program, program manager, and engineering targets.
- Select suppliers for quotation consistent with commodity strategy.
- Prepare request for quotation packages and documentation to capture requirements and contract terms consistent with commodity strategy.
- Receive quotation packages and evaluate for completion.
- Make sourcing recommendations.
- Obtain sourcing approval consistent with delegation of authority.
- Issue purchase order and obtain supplier acknowledgement of order.
- Monitor supplier's quality performance in coordination with Supplier Quality using WASP or equivalent tools.
- Source and include only approved suppliers in commodity strategy.
- Resolve supplier quality issues through negotiation of settlements, on-site support, and development of work plans.
- Coordinate and co-lead supplier quality, capacity, and development meetings with supplier quality and other internal customers.
- Support customer objectives by ensuring supplier commitment to quality improvement programs and targets.
- Drive the process to eliminate waste in the value chain through the use of Kaizen, Lean Deployment, Total Cost Management, Quality Operating Systems, Cost Tables, etc.
- Negotiate contracts consistent with commodity strategy.
- Use price management approach and negotiate pricing.
- Encourage submission and coordinate evaluation of suppliers' improvement ideas.
- Negotiate and mitigate economic increases, production/development piece prices, design changes, NRE, and tooling costs.
- Develop and use bench-marking tools to identify cost reduction opportunities.
- Negotiate year-over-year cost reductions from suppliers & expedite/de-expedite costs.
- Resolve supplier payment issues.
- Negotiate cancellation costs.
- Identify and execute cost reduction work plans with suppliers/cross-functional teams.
- Analyzes data, including enterprise requirements (production, aftermarket, MRO) and planning information to facilitate and recommend actions to ensure optimal delivery of supplier materials.
- Ensure containment and resolution plans are developed and implemented when/if part shortages occur.
- Improve supplier lead time and delivery performance through on-site supplier visits.
- Communicate supplier delivery dates to internal customers/requirements by updating MRP system.
- Resolve supplier receiving documentation discrepancies.
- Update commodity strategy to remove suppliers that cannot meet delivery requirements.
- Review buyer metrics, document improvement plans and provide team member performance feedback to Purchasing Manager.
- Develop and present training to internal customers.
- Collaborate with peers and management to determine key goals and objectives, and corresponding metrics.
- Create new and revise existing procurement processes to accomplish best-practice.
Critical Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum BS degree in Supply Chain, Business, Engineering or other related field
- MBA or MS degree, a plus.
- APICs certification of CPIM or CSPM, a plus.
- Minimum 3-5 Years direct material procurement experience in aerospace and defense industries.
- Understanding of Supply Chain Management operational concepts surrounding purchasing, logistics, incoming product inspection and inventory control.
- Demonstrated use of negotiated techniques and tactics.
- Aerospace, hydraulic, pneumatic and/or machined parts manufacturing, engineering, cost, and/or procurement requirements knowledge/experience.
- Ability to communicate - writing, technical writing, presentation, and verbal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- Proficiency with computers including MS Office and MRP systems.
- Ability to logically solve problems and to keep projects moving in an orderly and structured fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to participate and lead a cross-functional team, a plus.
- Familiarity/experience with lean manufacturing, Kaizen events, and continuous improvement techniques (i.e. RCCA, Six Sigma methodology), a plus.
- Familiarity/experience with SPC principles and methods, a plus.
- Working knowledge of ISO-9001, AS9100, a plus.
- Use of and deployment of electronic purchasing systems (eRFQ), VMI, and consignment, a plus.
- APICS CPIM, CPSM or equivalent certification, a plus.
- Working experience with SAP MRP systems, a plus.
Additional Required Skills and Compentencies:
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization, influence leaders to change / adopt change, builds trust and credibility quickly.
- Working knowledge of ISO-9001.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization driving collaboration across businesses and functions with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated positive energy to promote employee engagement and drive results.
- Demonstrated passion to drive change and challenge status quo.
- Demonstrated ability to lead implementation and contribute to the development of vision and strategy.
- Be able to work in a team environment and demonstrate support of the clients lean principles; teamwork, cooperation, respect, and integrity.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly through written and oral communications.
- Understands functional processes and can navigate systems to extract needed data.