Jr. Security Analyst
Washington, District of Columbia - PEAK Technical Staffing USA
Monitor, evaluate, and maintain systems and procedures to safeguard internal information systems, network, databases, and Web-based security. Conduct vulnerability assessments and monitor systems, network, databases and Web for potential system breaches. Respond to alerts from information security tools. Report, investigate and resolve security incidents. Educate and communicate security requirements and procedures to all users and new employees. Recommend and implement changes to enhance systems security and prevent unauthorized access. Research security trends, new methods and techniques used in unauthorized access of data in order to preemptively eliminate the possibility of system breach. Ensure compliance with regulations and privacy laws.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform ongoing monitoring and threat analysis.
- Analyze logs/traffic.
- Identify potential IT security incidents and escalates information to appropriate staff.
- Assess threat and vulnerability information from all sources (both internal and external) and promptly apply applicable mitigation techniques initiating indications and warnings.
- Conduct vulnerability analysis and assessments across the entire Senate IT enterprise in support of operations and maintenance activities.
- Develop mitigation and remediation plans as a result of vulnerability assessment findings.
- Train users and promotes security awareness to ensure system security and to improve server and network efficiency.
- Confer with users to discuss issues including but not limited to computer data access needs, security violations, and programming changes.
- Develop plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitor current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Document computer security and emergency measures policies, procedures, and tests.
- Train off-hours monitoring staff.
- Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Based on task(s) assigned, state-of-the-art expertise on the hardware, software, and systems in use by the IT Security Branch and in the SOCs, including but not limited to ArcSight SIM, nCircle vulnerability assessment system, Cisco PIX firewall, TopLayer IDS balancer, Symantec Security Information Management System (SESA and SSIM), Symantec Client Security, NetIQ, Cisco VMS, and Cisco and Snort IDS/IPS sensors. Customer service skills training.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree is a plus, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification by the following company is required: ArcSight, Symantec, and Cisco
- At least two (2) years of related experience and/or training in the field of IT security monitoring and analysis, cyber threat analysis, and vulnerability analysis.