San Diego, California - PEAK Technical Staffing USA
looking for engineers with an affinity and aptitude for both electrical and embedded software engineering.
An electrical / embedded software engineer will grow to understand our products not only on the deepest technical level, but also from a high systems-level perspective, allowing him or her to formulate new specifications and identify potential improvements that will present clear benefits to the end users.
These tasks will be accomplished in a multidisciplinary fashion drawing mainly on analog front-end design and embedded systems design.
design specification, conceptual design and analysis, breadboard testing and validation, prototype PCB layout/hand assembly/validation, extensive in-house testing and characterization, and directing final product manufacture and subsequent release to clients.
Embedded systems design work will include ground-up algorithm design, extensive validation testing, and continuous communication with clients.
developing embedded software in the C language, according to the TRCA DO-178B Level A standard and supporting the process of obtaining avionics software certifications for our product lines.
The electrical / embedded software engineer will work in collaboration with other engineers with this role, as well as coordinate with Design and Manufacturing Engineers and report to the Director of Electronics and CEO.
We offer unusually high levels of responsibility and visibility with actual clients early in one’s career, and most importantly, we are a home for real engineers.
Typical Primary Tasks:
- Design circuits to meet requirements. Typical circuit design will include the following: circuit simulation, lab testing, PCB design and layout of prototype boards, and overseeing the manufacture and calibration of PCBs for production applications.
- Design, develop, and improve upon infrastructure currently used during sensor processing, testing, and calibration. Examples of such equipment include electromechanically driven magnetizing and torque testing equipment, or calibration reference platforms for magnetic field sensors and associated signal conditioning circuits.
- Optimize existing circuit designs (including use of modeling and simulation techniques) to help achieve instrument-grade accuracy at high temperature and in electromagnetically harsh environments.
- Conduct and supervise testing programs including temperature, thermal cycling, vibration, overload, electromagnetic interference, and magnetic compatibility testing for MIL-SPEC aerospace qualification and ATEX energy sector certification.
- Collaborate with other Electronics Engineers to develop new magnetoelastic sensor products such as speed sensors, force sensors, and other proprietary technologies being developed by the company.
- Analyze and professionally document laboratory testing results, dyno testing results, and track data pertaining to the systems and/or components described above.
- Travel to client sites in Europe, Japan, Australia, and the US to monitor system installation and provide field support at dyno tests, track tests, and races as required.
- Contribute to the creation of technical papers, articles, and patents. Attend conferences and present peer-reviewed papers to world experts in the field.
For the Electronics / Embedded Software Engineer to be successful at front-end design of our products, it will be critical to have the following skills:
- Rigorous and intuitive understanding of analog circuit design and signals theory, especially as they relate to precision instrumentation design.
- Rigorous and intuitive understanding of system modeling tools (e.g. PSpice, Matlab) and the relationships between physical circuit testing results and simulation results.
- In-depth understanding of electromagnetism principles a plus.
- Ability to do circuit analysis by hand quickly and accurately.
- Familiarity with typical analog and mixed-mode circuit design issues, non-ideal component models, and good laboratory practice techniques.
- Strong proficiency in writing and thoroughly debugging C.
- Strong understanding of design constraints in limited-resource embedded systems applications.
- Familiarity with peripheral components including EEPROM and digital communication protocols such as CAN and ModBus.
- Experience with the complete software development life-cycle: requirements, design, development, integration, and testing.
- Strong skills in developing embedded software applications and drivers in the C language.
- Strong skills in developing detailed software life cycle artifacts, such as software requirements and design, and documentation.
- Experience designing, developing and documenting software/firmware interfaces.
- Experience developing embedded software for ARINC 429 and/or CAN network data communications a plus.
- Experience developing and certifying embedded avionics software according to RTCA DO-178B a plus.
- Experience developing digital filter algorithms in embedded software a plus.
- Strong work ethic, problem-solving, and software debugging skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
A Master’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering is preferred but outstanding applicants having a Bachelor’s degree will be seriously considered.
Two to four years of professional engineering experience are preferred, but outstanding applicants without prior experience will be seriously considered.
The Type of Person We Are Looking For
We are looking for self-motivated and committed engineers who have the ability to learn quickly and possess outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills. Our approach to engineering is highly interdisciplinary and involves a unique combination of theory and execution. This means carrying out rigorous analysis and experimentation, and then actually building and testing functional hardware and embedding software. It also means constantly pushing the boundaries and seeking continuous optimization and improvement in the product line and associated processes, with a solution-oriented approach and a can-do attitude. We are looking for individuals who are both very well-organized and highly flexible. Such candidates can fulfill multiple roles, and can work effectively even with limited supervision, while at the same time thriving in a dynamic multidisciplinary team environment. Successful candidates will have a strong attention to detail, a genuine concern for outstanding quality, and the ability to interact positively and effectively with clients and colleagues from all over the world.