Senior State Manager - California
Confidential - Wine & Spirits Company, LOS ANGELES CA
Innovative wine and spirits company is seeking an experienced sales manager in the wine and spirits industry to lead and direct our brand growth in California. The Senior State Manager will be responsible for achieving our sales and distribution goals, managing relationships with our California distributor and customers, and overseeing local sales reps, brokers, and brand ambassadors. We are a relatively young brand and the focus is primarily on opening new accounts and expanding points of distribution in key markets in the state. This is a “hands-on” role where flexibility, initiative, problem-solving, and an entrepreneurial approach are required.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits. This role reports directly to the company’s CEO. This position is based in the Greater Los Angeles area and requires travel throughout the state.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and manage effective working relationships with the distributor and conduct regular review meetings sessions to ensure compliance with agreed goals and strategies
- Leverage market knowledge and existing trade relationships to develop a sales plan for the state that will achieve desired goals
- Manage local area sales reps, brokers and brand ambassadors, set performance goals and KPIs, provide coaching and mentoring
- Create new points of distribution by calling on key on and off premise accounts across the state to present the brand
- Expand distribution in national accounts
- Monitor and manage relationships with existing customers to ensure satisfaction and re-orders
- Train distributor sales teams and conduct regular ride-withs with sales reps
- Provide regular reporting to management on sales results, programs, and areas of opportunity
- Act in a fiscally responsible and manage monthly and annual budgets
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 8 years sales experience in the spirits and wine industry. If you have no experience in wine and spirit sales, you will not be considered.
- Strong knowledge of the California market. We are looking for someone who can be up and running from day one and can leverage existing relationships and market understanding.
- Successful track record of increasing sales and distribution of new brands
- Experience in leading relationships with distributors at all management levels
- Proactive self-starter who takes initiative and works well in less structured environments
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to effectively persuade, update, and/or facilitate discussions customers, distributors, and all level of management
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and distributor teams
- Experience in managing and coaching teams to achieve desired KPIs
- Highly organized and able to plan workload around multiple assignments and priorities
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Note: This is a pure sales role, not a marketing job. We are seeking candidates who have a passion for selling and proven track record of increasing sales and distribution in the spirits and wine industry and who are interested in joining an exciting and fast-growing brand.
Location: Greater Los Angeles Area
Compensation and Benefits:
- Base salary
- Quarterly performance bonus (based on achieving volume/distribution/KPI goals)
- Health Insurance Benefits
- Vacation 10 PTO days + company holidays
- Car Allowance
- Cellphone Allowance
- Company Provided Laptop
- T&E Expense Budget