Senior Accounting Manager
Jones & Associates Accounting for Nonprofits, LOS ANGELES CA
Senior Accounting Manager
Jones & Associates is the largest accountancy in California serving the nonprofit industry exclusively. We have been expanding rapidly over the last few years, and are now looking for a team member to help us take our organization to the next level. The Senior Manager will be an experienced professional providing excellent customer service to both new and existing nonprofit accounts.
Centrally located in the mid-Wilshire area, J & A recently was recognized by the market research firm Inavero as a recipient of their “Best of Accounting” award, based on client satisfaction. More information on the firm can be found at www.charityaccounting.com.
The Senior Manager works directly with Jones and Associates’ nonprofit clients, usually as their outsourced Finance Director or CFO. This role is integral to the firm’s ability to deliver the highest possible quality of service, accuracy and work consistency. Therefore, strong analytical and logic skills are important, as is the ability to see the big picture while focusing on details. Strong supervisory and customer service skills are critical. Excellent communication skills are required as this position interfaces with multiple levels from client leadership and board to staff, as well as JA’s in-house accounting team. Attention to detail is a given.
- Provide excellent client service, starting with Finance Director management up to CFO level counsel
- Review bookkeeping work and payroll for completeness and correctness.
- Prepare month end financial statements.
- Prepare annual budgets in coordination with client department heads.
- Prepare other reports as requested by client.
- Provide meaningful analysis and guidance based on financial results.
- Manage process for annual audit and information return preparation with external independent audit firm and client.
- Handle ad hoc requests and questions from clients.
- Constantly seek improvement to clients’ and J & A’s systems including finance, HR, operations, and fundraising from a CFO perspective.
Required skills & experience:
· Senior level experience in the Finance Department of a nonprofit organization, or external accounting for nonprofit organizations.
· At least 8 years of accounting experience, including bookkeeping, financial statement preparation, payroll preparation, and preparation for external audits.
· Solid grasp of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for nonprofit organizations.
· Strong communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with all levels of personnel.
· Ability to juggle multiple clients and projects in a fast-paced environment to meet changing requirements and deadlines.
Preferred skills & experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or Bachelor’s degree in any field plus coursework that includes advanced accounting, tax, or external auditing.
· Experience with reporting for government grants and contracts.
· Experience as a Controller or CFO at a nonprofit organization
· CPA license or plan to obtain CPA license.
· Experience handling all types of operations administration as they interface with finance, including procurement, fundraising, human resources and insurance-related matters.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Demonstrated record of work within a team.
· Strong ability to operate independently; a self starter and problem solver.
· Advanced Excel and Quickbooks experience. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other accounting software such as Xero, Great Plains, Financial Edge, Abila MIP, and Bill.com.