General Manager – Hospitality and Farm Operation
Philo Ridge Farm, CHARLOTTE VT
Philo Ridge Farm is a certified organic 400-acre farm located in Vermont’s Champlain Valley. We are a diversified farm in our fourth year of production focused on growing produce and raising meat. Our practices increase the health of our soil, produce a variety of nutrient rich foods, reduce the use of fossil fuels, and support our agricultural community. Our production spans vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, flowers, orchards, and livestock including sheep, chickens, turkeys, cattle, and pigs. We produce our own compost and hay on the farm.
One year ago, we opened the Farm Commons Barn, a community gathering place with a commercial kitchen and market for selling products grown and processed at Philo Ridge. The market at the Farm Commons Barn is open seven days a week, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner in a casual counter-service style, as well as a curated grocery selection showcasing our meats, fresh produce and other products from local farms and producers. The commercial kitchen and processing facility also operate a production cycle continuously throughout the year, handling the value-added food processing and butchering of our farm-raised animals.
The farm and the Farm Common Barn allow us to welcome the public, to host events, and create value-added goods throughout the entire year. Together with the farm owners, Bio-Logical Capital manages the business, aiming to create a new diversified model for small scale farmers in the Northeast, one that will allow both the land and the farmer to prosper. In addition to production, we are carefully measuring and monitoring our practices so that we can share our story and data with others who are interested in understanding and supporting regenerative agriculture. For more information, visit www.philoridgefarm.com and www.biologicalcapital.com.
Philo Ridge Farm is looking for a General Manager – Hospitality and Farm Operation (GM) to be the hands on, entrepreneurial, creative leader of our diverse and innovative farm, market and events space, and processing facility. The GM will provide operational excellence through inspiring leadership and hospitality, outstanding team development, as well as thoughtful financial management of the business. The successful candidate will be a key ambassador of our core values, company mission and the Philo Ridge Farm story.
The GM is responsible for all business operations, leadership development, internal communication, community engagement and marketing, HR and administration. This is a multi-faceted role, with many diverse responsibilities, requiring a strong business acumen, entrepreneurialism, a good sense of humor, and patience and resilience focused on continuous improvement and delivery of goals in partnership with the staff.
Managing Philo Ridge Farm requires an outstanding generalist, who shares our passion for land conservation, growing produce and raising animals. As a calm, clearheaded leader, the GM must switch context often from long-term strategy to granular operating details. In this role, the General Manager is a facilitator, an active listener, a clear communicator, a mentor, coach, mediator, and source of positive inspiration for the entire team at Philo Ridge Farm—someone who can motivate and hold staff members accountable.
The GM reports to the Chief of Staff of Bio-Logical Capital, will work on Philo Ridge Farm, and needs to live locally.
- Oversee all aspects of Philo Ridge Farm’s day-to-day business operations and property management and support daily coordination between all Philo Ridge Farm managers
- Effectively recruit, train, coach, and develop managers and staff in capabilities enhancing operational efficiency, financial literacy, communication skills, and goal attainment
- Create a positive, inspired team-oriented work culture rooted in effective communication, collaboration and accountability by actively demonstrating and teaching exceptional professionalism with a focus on guest experience and organizational excellence
- Develop and implement operational systems that can evolve as the business expands and enhance team communication, improve guest experience, reduce expenses, improve margins, drive higher sales, and develop new business lines
- Ensure integration between farm and food service programs based on established budgets, priorities and timetables
- Engage with partner organizations, businesses and individuals to expand Philo Ridge Farm’s role in relevant circles around Vermont and the nation
- Lead the development of strategic goals to drive financial performance, enhance ecological impact, and deepen community connections
- Support individual managers to facilitate staff education, effective feedback, and develop strong professional development plans for all team members
- Develop and deliver the annual operating and capital expense budget with support from Bio-Logical Capital and track budget to actual performance on a monthly basis
- Cultivate a regional and eventually national presence in land use, agriculture, climate change, food systems, events, and hospitality
- Represent Philo Ridge Farm as a spokesperson and active participant in the social, agricultural, and culinary communities of Vermont
- Coordinate annual planning for each business unit, and coach business unit managers to think about and deliver on their goals entrepreneurially and consistently
- Maintain regular communication with the Board regarding operations and performance
- Prepare accurate quarterly written reports on business unit operations, progress toward goals, and budget variances
- Hold individual managers accountable to address staff incidents and interpersonal issues calmly and impartially, be a role model in this respect, and coach the managers through difficult conversations
- Ensure organizational policies are administered consistently and terminate employees when necessary
- Facilitate open and constructive communication between Philo Ridge Farm staff and managers, the Board and the Bio-Logical Capital team
- Maintain all permits, licenses, insurance policies, and other administrative processes associated with business compliance and general risk management
- Celebrate and share the Philo Ridge Farm story; speak with passion and knowledge about our food and products, and inspire team members to do the same
- A leadership style based in collaboration, curiosity, active listening, clear communication, curiosity, creative problem solving, and accountability
- Passion for farming, local food systems, land management, environmentalism, and hospitality; hands on agricultural experience a plus, but not required
- Minimally 5-8 years of management experience in an operating business or organization with more than 10 employees
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Unwavering standards in delivering an excellent product accompanied by a positive guest experience
- Strong track record of developing teams and individuals
- Solution- and outcome-driven
- Outstanding in listening and responding to diverse stakeholder and community representatives
- Patient and persistent
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial thinking in a business or non-profit leadership role, with fully developed abilities as facilitator, mentor, mediator, and coach
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Excellent abilities in project management
- Ability to read, interpret, and develop actionable responses to business financial statements
- Outstanding as a spokesperson and outward leader of Philo Ridge Farm locally, regionally, and beyond
- Strong computer literacy including Microsoft Office, including Excel
- Loves learning about cooking, sharing (and eating) good food
- Belief in the mission of Philo Ridge Farm and a love for Vermont and its seasons
There are many fantastic benefits to a career at Philo Ridge Farm. We believe in treating our employees, animals, and land with the respect and care. We offer a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits. At Philo-Ridge Farm we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value our mission, our guests and our constituents.
Strong candidates will be equally comfortable updating Excel spreadsheets as they are hosing off their muck boots and creating a welcoming atmosphere of hospitality at the Farm Commons Barn.
If you want to make a difference - every day - in being in the forefront of creating a new diversified model for small scale farmers in the Northeast, one that will allow both the land and the farmer to prosper and will give our guests a delicious taste of our labor and commitment, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected] with “General Manager – Hospitality and Farm Operation” in the subject line.
A background check and computer literacy test are part of the recruiting process for final candidates.
Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone or email.
Philo Ridge Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.