Direct Perm Position with our client in the Hartford suburbs.
A medical malpractice insurer covering health care professionals in the New England and Mid-Atlantic states, seeks a Senior Claims Representative to handle a caseload of claims and support the operations of the Claim Department and company. The primary responsibilities of the position are to investigate, evaluate and resolve medical malpractice claims brought against the company’s insureds. The position requires handling claims across varied medical specialties that present the greatest severity and complexity in the department. The position also requires providing support to the Loss Prevention, Underwriting, Finance and Business Development departments.
- Identifying and analyzing coverage issues
- Selecting defense counsel
- Coordinating the initial consultation with the insured and defense counsel
- Retaining and consulting with defense medical experts
- Litigation management including ongoing communication with defense counsel, monitoring of legal status reporting and reviewing billing practices
- Attending depositions of parties and experts, court conferences, mediations and trials
- Internal reporting and documentation of claim developments
- Preparing claim status reports for reinsurers
- Regular communication with the insured from initial meeting to claim resolution
- Presenting claims at internal claim roundtables
- Participation in medical panel claim review meetings
- Formulating and executing claim resolution plans
- Direct handling of settlement negotiations with plaintiff’s counsel
- Maintaining current knowledge of relevant legal decisions, claim trends and industry practices
- Maximizing productivity and claim results through use of technology
- Enhancing the team environment in Claim Department through collaboration with other claim personnel
Support of Company Operations
- Assisting efforts to compile and analyze claim data
- Periodic attendance at company functions including Loss Prevention and Business Development events;
- Providing feedback on and supporting implementation of corporate initiatives and IT projects
- Informing Underwriting Department of claim developments with potential underwriting implications
Qualifications and Desired Skills
- Bachelor of Arts or Science Degree
- 7+ years of experience in casualty insurance claim handling, preferably within the medical malpractice field in CT and/or MA
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing an active and diverse caseload
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage work outside the office including depositions, meetings with insureds and defense counsel, court conferences, mediations and trials.
- Claim Adjuster’s license in applicable states or agreement to obtain same after hire.
** competitive salaries and benefits including a bonus plan, medical, dental, 401k plan, paid time off, life insurance, disability income protection, and education financial assistance.