This Commercial Legal Counsel position will provide legal support for the commercial needs of each of our business units, including interactions with Sales, Customer Service, Operations & Supplier Relations, Facilities, Finance, and Marketing. The preferred candidate must be able to work independently and balance multiple priorities, while responding quickly to client demands for this high growth business. This position reports to the Associate General Counsel – LED, Power, and RF Products. The Cree Legal Department is a challenging and dynamic work environment, and we are looking for a talented legal professional with drive and determination to join our team.
The position will be responsible for providing legal advice and representation to Cree, Inc. and its subsidiaries worldwide on matters relating to its business, as assigned. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Providing day-to-day legal counseling on issues arising from each of the business units (i.e., RF, power, SiC materials, and LED chips, components, and modules).
- Preparing, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts relating to the development, marketing, and sale of products, such as sales agreements (including contracts with government agencies and contractors), distribution agreements, sales representative agreements, joint development agreements, marketing agreements, and quality assurance agreements.
- Providing legal support to the procurement function, including preparing, reviewing, and negotiating vendor agreements, consulting agreements, contract manufacturing agreements, basic license agreements, and supply chain process documents.
- Providing legal support to facilities functions, including preparing, reviewing, and negotiating leases, subleases, and property purchase agreements, and advising on environmental matters and facility safety processes and procedures.
- Managing risk and business expenses through the design and implementation of the company’s global property and casualty insurance programs. Responsibilities may include managing insurance claims, including monitoring product liability and recall actions, and preparing insurance applications.
- Investigating and resolving commercial disputes pre-litigation and supporting litigation counsel in matters that cannot be amicably resolved.
- Providing other legal advice and support as requested.
- Juris Doctor from a top-tier law school with superior academic credentials.
- Admission in good standing to a state bar.
- Minimum 5 years of legal practice with significant commercial contract drafting and negotiating experience involving complex commercial transactions.
- Self-starter who can assess risk quickly and adapt to competing business priorities.
- Highly-motivated individual who understands that success requires hard work and determination.
- Prefer 5-7 years of relevant legal practice experience.
- Prefer candidates who have worked in a large law firm (> 30 attorneys) doing relevant legal work.
- Prior in-house commercial legal experience at a global company a plus, but not required.
- Prefer some international law experience in the matters stated above.
- Prior antitrust experience is a plus.
- Admission to State Bar of North Carolina (or availability of reciprocity with the North Carolina bar) is a plus.