Home Health Aide
VISITING NURSE & HOSPICE CARE, Santa Barbara CA
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Certified Home Health Aide is a paraprofessional member of the hospice team who works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and performs various services for a patient as necessary to meet the patient's personal needs, to promote the patient's comfort, and a safe environment. The Certified Home Health Aide is responsible for observing patients and reporting/documenting these observations and the services provided. The Home Health Aide will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity and safety of a patient’s care. Respects and promotes the mission, values and vision of VNHC.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Addressing Patient’s Daily Needs
- Responds to patient's/family's/caregiver's personal and physical and needs promptly. If unable to perform a certain task, reporting to the primary care nurse immediately.
- Meets safety needs of patients and uses equipment safely and properly (foot stools, side rails, etc.).
- Gives personal care including baths, back rubs, oral hygiene, shampoos and changing bed linen as often as necessary.
- Assists in dressing and undressing patients.
- Plans and prepares nutritious meals, including shopping, if necessary.
- Assists in feeding the patient, if necessary.
- Offers and assists with bedpans and urinals.
- Keeps patient's living area clean and orderly, as appropriate.
- Does patient's laundry when instructed as part of the plan of care.
- Performs post-mortem care.
Direct Patient Care
- Takes and records oral, rectal, and auxillary temperatures, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure when ordered with appropriate completed/demonstrated skills competency.
- Turns and positions patients, providing proper care and observation of patient's skin to prevent breakdown of tissue over bony prominence.
- Reports on patient's condition and significant changes to the assigned supervisory nurse.
- Acts as a member of the hospice interdisciplinary group.
- Assists in ambulation and range of motion exercise as instructed by the primary care nurse.
- Utilizes proper ergonomics and body mechanic techniques.
Documentation of Care
- Ensures the plan of care regarding patient assignment is followed.
- Adheres to VNHC’s documentation and care procedures and standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Meets daily average productivity standards set by the agency. Participates in Quality Management activities.
- Rotates weekend and holiday shifts as necessary.
- Reports complaints and incidents to supervisors.
- Attends monthly meetings and inservices as required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of state, federal, local and accreditation regulations for the delivery of hospice services.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description. All clinical staff are expected to participate as needed in variable shifts, including weekend rotation per staffing needs and departmental holiday rotation.
- Current and active California Home Health Aide Certification.
- Current CPR certification.
- One year experience in hospital or nursing home setting.
- Licensed driver with insured automobile - in accordance with state and/or organization requirements.
- Ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given.
- Self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision.
- Empathy for the needs of the ill, injured, frail and the impaired. Understands philosophy of hospice care and needs of the terminally ill.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to push/pull 200 lbs.
- Ability to transfer 170 pounds.
- Ability to stoop, bend, and squat.
- Ability to walk up one flight of stairs.
- Ability to walk one mile.
- Ability to sit for one hour, minimum.
- Visual and audio acuity.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE:
VNHC Evaluation tool.